Rauchenecker Symphony No. 1 in F minor, etc.

Started by black, Thursday 03 December 2009, 13:42

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Thanks! Not at my own machine at this time, but if, hopefully, it's still there early next week, will have a look...

Reverie

Adelheid von Burgund - Prelude to Act I

A five mintue taster. Beware the ghost of Wagner abounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7Xsa4SzrWg

Alan Howe

Gareth Vaughan

I don't suppose anyone knows if the piano concertos have survived?

eschiss1

all I see at IMSLP is orchestral parts, lacking piano, to the B minor concerto (1898, prem. 1901) - discovered only 9 years ago. Given how relatively recently those parts were discovered, though, it's obviously not out of the question that the piano solo might turn up and that the other piano concertos? might too?...

Reto Schärli

Dear all,

Musikkollegium Winterthur Orchestra is playing a concert to honour its former director Georg Wilhelm Rauchenecker.
It will take place in Winterthur Stadthaus on Thursday 29th October at 7.30 pm.
The program will include the "Symphonisches Tonwerk", the "Oriental Fantasy" (with soloist Sebastian Bohren, violin) and the f minor Symphony, conducted by Howard Griffiths:

https://www.musikkollegium.ch/de/event-detail?event=22017

I myself have to honour to speak shortly about the pieces in the course of the concert, and also wrote an introduction to the program booklet, which can be seen here (pp. 12-13):

https://www.musikkollegium.ch/de/hauptnavigation/programm-tickets/publikationen

Mark Thomas

Thank you, Reto. Will the concert be broadcast, or are there any plans for a recording of these works?

Alan Howe

How wonderful, Reto! It would indeed be wonderful if the concert could be recorded.

Reto Schärli

Yes, indeed there are plans to record exactly this program on CD.
Will keep you up to date.

Alan Howe

Mark Thomas

That's exciting news, Reto. Thank you, and I hope the concert goes well.

eschiss1

the symphony in D major (#3, 1904) seems to exist in full manuscript score. (If franc. is still monitoring this group, do parts exist or would creating them be something I should consider adding to my queue if I can?)

The Rauchenecker WV mentions a 2nd sym for Oktoberfest 1885 , in B natural major, but I don't know if it survives.

Reto Schärli

Quote from: eschiss1 on Thursday 23 July 2020, 22:05
the symphony in D major (#3, 1904) seems to exist in full manuscript score. (If franc. is still monitoring this group, do parts exist or would creating them be something I should consider adding to my queue if I can?)

Yes, Symphony No.3 turned up a couple of years ago among some paper's of the family of Rauchenecker's libretist Otto Schönebeck.
There is an online scan here:

https://imslp.org/wiki/Symphony_No.3_(Rauchenecker%2C_Georg_Wilhelm)

Symphony No.2 which had a moto of the Munich October Fest seems lost at the moment. Most probably it was in a German archive and burnt during the war(s). But hope persists...

Reto Schärli

Quote from: eschiss1 on Thursday 23 July 2020, 22:05
If franc. is still monitoring this group, do parts exist or would creating them be something I should consider adding to my queue if I can?)

Eric, Frank actually set the score of the Third Symphony some time ago with a computer program. I had played trough the piece and started proof-reading, unfortunately I have not finished yet. Have this high on my list and very much hope to complete this task. It's a nice piece, I remember it to be quite different from the other things I know by him; as this is almost his last work, I felt a rather "impressionstic" touch to it, not so much the German-Romantic style prevailing in most of his other music. Would you be interested (and do you have the time) in proof-reading this? In any case, 4 eyes certainly see more than just mine... The manuscript score was quite full of mistakes, particularly missing accidentals and so on.

I also discussed with Frank that once the score is prepared we might consider offering it to Musikproduktion Höflich Verlag Munich, who also republished the F Minor Symphony. It was actually this republication which allowed me to attract the attention of Howard Griffiths to do the piece in concert. So republishing seems to help, at least partly... ;) But at the moment this certainly is "Zukunftsmusik"...

eschiss1

6 eyes (including my spectacles) 🧐 and " What I can do can do no hurt to try"