News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Louis Glass (1864-1936)

Started by Balapoel, Monday 23 April 2012, 05:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin

A digital rendition of When the city wakes up is available for listening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2HWkdANwK4

Looking at the movement titles, I find it charming, although it reminds me a bit of Gershwin.

Ilja

It always seemed to me that it might be inspired by Walter Ruttmann's Berlin – Die Sinfonie der Großstadt (Berlin - the Symphony of the Great City), a silent documentary film in the "day in the life" genre, from 1927. It's first act describes the city waking up, and you can almost imagine Glass's piece being used for it (there are various scores for the film)

By the way, the work on this rendition was done by Walter Zielke.

John Boyer

It appears that most of the recorded chamber music has been discussed in this thread, but unless I missed it, unmentioned is a nice recording of the piano music on the Divine Art label, played by Peter Sievewright. It's a two-disc set containing three large scale works -- the two piano sonatas and the piano fantasy -- and three collections of shorter piano pieces. I think anyone who enjoys Glass's music would enjoy these too.