Théophile Antoine Ysaÿe (1865-1918)

Started by FBerwald, Tuesday 19 June 2012, 04:17

Previous topic - Next topic

FBerwald

I just heard samples [very bad sound quality] on youtube of Théo Ysaÿe's Piano Concerto in E flat major, op. 9. It seems he is the brother of Eugène Ysaÿe. Does anyone have any info of him? Apparently there is also a Piano Concerto No. 2 in manuscript - Solo part and full score available according to this article http://www.lib.umd.edu/PAL/IPAM/IPAM9617.PDF.

eschiss1

Several of his works in score (some at IMSLP) and recorded (e.g. his piano quintet on Koch Schwann in 1990), and I hear good things about him. The symphony no.1 (in F, op.14, published by Schirmer 1908) Wikipedia lists intrigues (me :) ) too.

(FWIW IMSLP has a 2-piano reduction of the piano concerto, too- here- and three other works at the moment.)
I wonder where the symphony recording you heard came from- commercial recording, broadcast, something else... neat. Interesting about the 2nd concerto- UMaryland has a good large database of scores etc. (another library doing fine work.)

Mark Thomas

A recording of Theo's Piano Concerto in E flat op.9 is available from the Downloads board at UC.

giles.enders

Theophile Ysaye 1865-1918  Belgian.  The first piano concerto in E flat composed in 1904 and the second composed in 1909 was never published as far AS i KNOW.

giles.enders

Theophile Antoine Ysaye  Born 2.3.1865  Verviers  Died  24.3.1918 Nice

Theophile was the youngest of the four children1 of Nicholas Joseph2 and Marie Therese Ysaye. His initial music studies were at the Liege Conservatory 1876-80. He then went to Berlin to study with Theodor Kullak and subsequently in Paris to study with Cesar Franck. He commenced his performing career as piano accompanist for his brother, then from 1886 as a piano virtuoso. Between 1889-1900 he held the post of professor of piano at the Geneva Academie de Musique. After returning to Belgium he followed a career of composer, conductor and pianist.
He started composing in a serious way while in Geneva, his output substantially increasing after 1900. His compositions have been described as like Franck in conception and Debussy in detail.

Orchestral

Symphonie  No.1 in F Op.14  1904
Symphonie No.2  1914
Vie d'un heros  1889
Suite Wallon, fantasie  Op.13  pub. by G Schirmer 1903
Le Cygne  Op.15  pub. by G.Schirmer 1911
Les Abeilles  Op.17 1910
La Foret et l'oiseau  Op.18 pub. by Breitkopf and Hartel 1911
Overture sur un theme d'Atala
Piano Concerto in E flat Op.9  pub. by G Schirmer 1904
Piano Concerto  1909

Chamber

Piano Quintet in B minor  Op.5  pub. by Senart 1913
String Quartet in B flat
Variations for 2 pianos Op,10

Vocal

Requiem for solo voices, chorus and orchestra  1906

Nicholas Joseph Ysaye  1826- 1905

Eugene Auguste  Ysaye  16.7.1858- 12.5.1931
Agnes-Marie Ysaye  27.12.1851- 1929
John-Joseph Ysaye
Theophile Antoine Ysaye  2.3.1865- 24.3.1918

Alan Howe

I've merged Giles' post with the earlier thread on the composer.

rosflute

I own the full score of the 1st symphony and I think it is rather good. Some years ago, I began a project to create a set of orchestral parts which I've never had time to complete, but I did create a short demonstration audio sample.

giles.enders

rosflute, you might like to approach Chandos Records.  See if they are interested.

eschiss1

A Belgian label might seem a more obvious choice- Phaedra may be defunct (I'm not sure?) but there are others that record Belgian Romantic orchestral music.