Rufinatscha piano music from Innsbruck

Started by Alan Howe, Friday 31 August 2012, 16:58

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

No argument there! "Originality" is overrated...

MusFerd

Many thanks to the Rufinatscha fan community for their valuable comments! It is a pleasure to read that our recordings are discussed intensively. Greetings from Innsbruck!

JimL

thalbergmad

I have now started to listen to these works, starting with the sonata Op.3. If that is anything to go by, I am in for a treat indeed.

Cannot help wondering if Rufinatscha had heard or played the Beethoven Op.57, because that was the vibe i was getting. A dark work that gives you a glimmer of hope and then withdraws it again. Captivating stuff.

In the process of adding this to my feeble repertoire. Mechanically it is not demanding, but I intend to add a lot more fire to the last movement than in the recording, so perhaps I will struggle.

Thal

Alan Howe

Thanks, Thal, for your positive reaction. And good luck with getting to know the music...

thalbergmad

It has been pointed out to me that perhaps the Op.3 Sonata bears a greater resemblance to the Dussek Op.77, which would be praise indeed. Written in the the year of Rufinatscha's birth as well.

Thal

Alan Howe

An afterthought: Could, perhaps, Rufinatscha's last Piano Sonata (D minor, 1880) be orchestrated? Is it possible that this is a symphony in disguise?

Mark Thomas

Could it be orchestrated? Clearly it could. Should it be? I suppose it depends whether you think the composer's intention is important. Rufinatscha strikes me as a serious, deliberate composer. If he had intended this fine, serious piece as a sixth symphony then why wouldn't he just have written a Sixth Symphony? Why disguise it? If it was a study for one wouldn't it have been laid out for four hands? Although I'd love to hear more orchestral Rufinatscha, especially after Herr Huber made such a good job of reconstructing the Third, personally I'd rather leave well alone and enjoy the Sonata for what it is.

Alan Howe

Herr Huber's opinion on the matter might be enlightening. Interestingly, the D minor Sonata does indeed exist in a version for piano 4-hands...

Mark Thomas

Alan Howe