Anyone for flute or trumpet concertos?

Started by Peter1953, Friday 05 March 2010, 21:16

Previous topic - Next topic

nigelkeay

Quote from: Marcus on Sunday 07 March 2010, 12:03

Two virtuoso Flute concertos have been written by New Zealand composers Alan Ritchie (b1960)..... Ritchie has also recently written a Double Concerto for Bass Clarinet, Cello & orchestra.

Marcus.
I just signed on to this forum and out of curiosity thought I'd do a search on "New Zealand" as that's my country of origin. The post I've quoted is in fact talking about Anthony Ritchie (b1960), so just thought I'd mention that having noticed the error.

As a coincidence, the date that post was made (7th March 2010) I'd organized a performance of Anthony Ritchie's Oboe Sonata here in Paris; we then went on to make a CD of that particular program.

markniew

I wil upload nice Flute cto by the Polish Felisk Rybicki

alberto

Trumpet:
my favourite unsung (even if I heard it once in an actual concert) is the Henry Tomasi concerto . There is more than one recording (one with W.Marsalis and Salonen, coupled to two Jolivet Concertos). The central movement sounds fine fake-Ravel.
Entertaining the folkish Arutunian concerto (is it really unsung? I heard it twice in actual concerts). I have it in a Lp coupled with the already named Weinberg (who cleverly borrows famous themes or solos for trumpet) and with the more commonplace Kryukov Concerto-poem for trumpet and orchestra.
Another Soviet is Alexandra Pakhmutova concerto for Trumpet (heard on record).
I appreciate also (much more"modern" but still entertaining) "Aerial", concerto for trumpet by the maverick H.K. Gruber (heard once in concert, owned on Cd coupled to Turnage (likeable) and Eotvos (more forbidding).
Flute.
I appreciate the Rautavaara Concerto ("Dances with winds", Bis) and the Sallinen Concerto ("Harlekini", Naxos).
Fine also the Jolivet for Flute and Strings (on Chandos or Erato).
Very fine the Ibert (but is it unsung?).
For me is unsung and good the short M.Arnold Concerto for flute and strings (Conifer).
There is a plethora of XVIII concertos (often for flute or violin or transcribed from violin).
Less commponplace appears to me the "Concerto Lugubre" by one Luigi Gianella (recordings by -as often- Galway and Rampal).

JollyRoger

Vassil Kazandjiev - Concerto for Trumpet (1955)
This unknown trumpet concerto is stunning..the 2nd movement (of 3) left me breathless the first time I heard it.  It may just be personal preference, but IMHO a masterpiece.
It can be heard in its entirety here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwHClNMVtr8&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfOnKb31wbU&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mRkNeEt0C8&feature=related

markniew

In the Downloads/Polish Music you can find

b]FELIKS  RYBICKI [/b]   (1899-1978)
Concerto (Concertino) for Flute and Orchestra in F Major op. 51     (1951)
1.   Allegro moderato   7:46   2.   Andante tranquillo   5:47   3.   Presto    5:46
Grzegorz Olkiewicz, flute
Polish Radio Orchestra of Warsaw  / cond. Ryszard Dudek

Peter1953

On 12 February just after 11:00 local time the German NDR Kultur will broadcast the Concerto for Trumpet and Orchestra No. 1 "Bridge", op. 47, by the contemporary Swedish composer Rolf Martinsson (b. 1956).
Anybody ever heard of him and/or his music? His website is http://www.rolfmartinsson.com/

Alex Bozman

Leonid Bashmakov's Flute Concerto Impressioni Marine is an attractive piece, on the same BIS cd as the Rautavaara Alberto mentions. Little else of Bashmakov's music seems to be recorded 

A favourite Trumpet Concerto is Marcel Landowski's with orchestra and tape as recorded by Maurice Andre on Erato. This is a lyrical and atmospheric piece, with the electronic elements deployed subtly.

eschiss1

Tangentially (sorry) re Bashmakov, Worldcat mentions a Finlandia CD with his 2nd violin concerto (1990), another with an accordion work (1991), four BIS CDs (from 1996 - the flute concerto - also one from 1995 - which has his Quattro bagatelle per flauto e percussione and Concerto da camera per flauto e quartetto d'archi - and one with just the Bagatelle and works by other composers in a percussion CD from 1993; also a BIS CD from 1994 with a solo flute work of his on it.) Nothing more recently, I think, but his works have enjoyed some CD representation- "little else" might be available, I suppose.

Have seen Martinsson mentioned a few times, I think, in recent Swedish orchestra programs (I occasionally look through such things in different countries when readily available on websites, to see what's being performed, etc.)

giles.enders

I think Mozart's Flute and Harp concerto is one of the most beautiful concertos ever written.

Alex Bozman

Eschiss1, you're right about Bashmakov, I also have the BIS cd featuring the flute works. However his output is relatively large, for example none of the 7 symphonies have been recorded.

markniew

Il Piffero della notte - Fantasy for Flute and Orchestra  (2007) by StanisÅ‚aw Skrowaczewski available in the Downloads/Polish Music