News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Eduard Lassen

Started by Alan Howe, Monday 04 February 2013, 19:04

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

The violin/piano reduction btw is @ IMSLP...

Alan Howe

The uploader of the YouTube video is Professor Jan Hališka of the University of Ostrava, the home town of the orchestra on the recording, the Janáček Philharmonic Orchestra.

Alan Howe

Following an email from Mr Garcia Salas, I have corrected some of the details in my post about how the VC came to be performed in July.

Alan Howe

The connection between Eduardo Garcia Salas and Jiří Vodička is as follows:

Mr Garcia Salas studied with Professor Zdeněk Gola in Ostrava (Czech Republic) from 1992-1997 - the same professor under whom Jiří Vodička studied from 2000. Mr Vodička now works as soloist/leader with the Czech Philharmonic in Prague with whom Mr Garcia Salas also plays. They are clearly good friends.

Alan Howe

QuoteI think it was premiered in late October/early November 1888, Halir violin, Bülow conducting, in Berlin at the 2nd Philharmonic-Concert

The performance of the VC in Berlin under von Bülow took place on 29th October 1888. After the premiere in Dessau on 13th May 1888, there was a performance in Weimar two days later on 15th May. The Berlin performance was therefore the third that the work received. Performances then followed in St Petersburg, Hamburg, Bremen, Paris, Liège and Weimar (for the second time).

Alan Howe

BTW I am more than ever convinced that the VC is a major find. I'd say it was fully the equal of any 19thC VC (barring the Beethoven and Brahms). 

eschiss1

My mistake, sorry! Have adjusted the information @ IMSLP. Will link to the videos from that page too...

Alan Howe

I have been privileged to see an early draft of the English preface to the edition Mr Garcia Salas has prepared for performance. I only saw this today, courtesy of Mr Garcia Salas, so I have merely been the beneficiary of his research. Absolutely no need for an apology, Eric: your sleuthing is a highly valued commodity here!

JimL

I'm gonna make a playlist out of it today!

DONE!!!  ;D

JimL

Hey, wait a minute...a Violin Concerto No. 1 implies a 2nd or more.  Any info on those?

Alan Howe

Good point: Toskey mentions VC No.2, Op.149, published by Breitkopf und Härtel. Unfortunately my searches haven't turned up anything.

Gareth Vaughan

Maybe a letter to B. & H.?

Alan Howe

Eduardo Garcia Salas is now on the case...

Gareth Vaughan

Good to hear. Thanks, Alan.

Alan Howe

Unfortunately Breitkopf have no record of having published Lassen's VC2. The only thing they could suggest was that they had printed it for another publisher...