Vatroslav Lisinski (1819-1854) - Croatian composer

Started by Christopher, Thursday 28 February 2013, 11:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Christopher

Vatroslav Lisinski wrote the first Croatian opera, "Ljubav i zloba" ("Love and Malice").  The national opera theatre in Zagreb is named after him.  I asked in a classical music shop there if there are any recordings of his music.  They told me that some of his works had been recorded on LP some time ago, but that none of this has been brought over to CD.   Does anyone know of any of these recordings, or of any online resource?

I found a couple of youtube recordings:

http://youtu.be/CSxs6g1wVGA - Vecer (The Evening), orkestralna idila

http://youtu.be/1XcU10Dw2xw -  Sveslav's Prayer (Molitva Sveslava), from the opera "Porin"

http://youtu.be/UlJuFyaYXoo - Zbor Hrvatica, from the opera "Porin"

Some biographical info from wikipedia:

Vatroslav Lisinski (Zagreb, 8 July 1819 – Zagreb, 31 May 1854) was a Croatian composer.
Lisinski was born Ignaz Fuchs to a German Jewish family. He would later change his name to Vatroslav Lisinski. For a time he worked as a clerk at the Tabula Banalis in Zagreb.
Lisinski composed the first Croatian opera, Ljubav i zloba ("Love and Malice", 1846), which he wrote at the urging of Alberto Ognjen Štriga, and Porin (1851) as well as numerous works for orchestra, choir and soloists.
He was also one of the founders of the Illyrism, a movement that advocated the importance of Croatian cultural heritage, as a reaction to Magyarisation during the Austro-Hungarian rule.

mikehopf

Talk about elaborate packaging! I have a double LP  entitled: Souvenir Album In Celebration of the Reconstruction of the Croatian National Thatre : The Works of Vatroslav Lisinski.

It features a lavish booklet with an embossed plastic seal whilst the sleeve contains a large metallic badge ornamented with 3 little cloth flags!

The LPs contain excerpts from Porin together with 7 other Lisinski works in a variety of genres.

I also have a complete broadcast version of Porin together with another LP of Highlights from Porin.

Christopher

Sounds amazing! Obviously the Croats are very proud of Lisinski, to package him so elaborately.  All the more baffling, therefore, that they haven't put him on to CD!  Did you obtain these LPs in Croatia? Or..how did you come across them?   Is the radio broadcast something you feel you could upload here (apologies for the cheeky question!)?

eternalorphea

Piano reduction of opera "Porin" made by opérette composer Felix Albini, published in 1901.

Piano reduction - high resolution sheet music scan

---
Piano reduction of opera "Ljubav i Zloba", done by Lisinski's friend and singer in the premiere performance Alberto Striga, published in 1891.

Piano reduction - high resolution sheet music scan

eternalorphea

Biographic drama about Vatroslav Lisinski, 19th century Croatian composer and the author of the first Croatian opera.

Movie review at IMDb (International Movie Database)

Full length movie at destreamovie.com FREE FULL MOVIE
Lisinski - Video Length 1 Hour 25 minutes - Quality: HD 1080p

The only downfall of the movie is that some pieces of Lisinski's music featured in the film were altered (completely, that is their instrumentation) by a mediocre Croatian Jewish composer Boris count Papandopulo.

sdtom

I'm enjoying learning about Croatian composers.
Tom :)