News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Unfaithful to the Score?

Started by Richard Moss, Tuesday 12 March 2013, 09:56

Previous topic - Next topic

petershott@btinternet.com

Ah, Richard, for a symphony as significant as Draeseke 3 I wouldn't go mucking around with a downloaded 'historical' recording but go straight for the CPO disc. True, I haven't heard your downloaded version, but I'm sure it falls below the CPO version. The latter isn't the last word on Draeseke (but it is rather better than a rival recording on MDG) yet it is pretty good. It is crucial to have a good and clear recording to get to grips with this symphony. And may you enjoy the experience! It is enormously rewarding (and disturbing in its way).

And stand by for an authoritative view on Draeseke recordings from Alan, our indispensable Draeseke expert!

eschiss1

The total timing of that Draeseke 3rd is 52 minutes (that's the one I have; I might get the cpo or MDG version sometime, though. I didn't get it as a download, but on cassette tape from a friend who had the LP, if I remember, which may have been better quality, or not. Though on my iPod all cats look the same in the dark, too, I guess...)
Allmusic says that Weigle's recording is about 46 minutes, Worldcat gives the same timing for Hanson's recording on MDG. So since it's actually longer, if the Drewes recording is cut, then it's cut and slow, or not much cut. I'm guessing it's not cut.

Alan Howe

Actually the Naxos download is an interesting historical document: whoever the conductor is - it's probably Heinz Drewes - he employs a lot of tempo changes à la Furtwängler or Mengelberg. By contrast the interpretations of Weigle (cpo) and Hanson (MDG) are much straighter and more obviously modern in feel, with Weigle's orchestra being distinctly more alert and athletic than Hanson's. In addition, they are considerably quicker overall (both come in at around 46 minutes). To my mind Weigle is definitely the best choice, and of course it can now been purchased as part of a cheap 3-CD set of all Draeseke's symphonies.

edurban

That Drewes performance (on Urania) is the version I grew up with (and still may have somewhere.)  The playing of the orchestra is not up to snuff, especially the horns in the first movement, who crack on their big 'solos' and really spoil a couple of Draeseke's most poetic inspirations.  I still expect to hear them 'clam' when those moments approach in the fine Hanson version, so save yourself a little trauma and let the historical one pass.  The Tragica deserves modern sound, anyway.

David

Richard Moss

Thanks for the comments guys. 

Sounds like (i) I may well have misunderstood what I thought was a cut but anyway (ii) time to start saving my pennies for the cpo version. 

Incidentally (if Alan will pardon a small diversion from this thread while we're on Draeseke ) - has anyone heard any more about the orchestral version of Draeseke's violin concerto.  I picked up the violin/piano version when UC kindly made it available last spring and have been itching to hear the 'full works' ever since!

Cheers

Richard

Alan Howe

The orchestration of Draeseke's VC is apparently still in progress - no sign of its publication yet.

eschiss1

I know I await happily. The reduction is promising! (*checks to see about something about the cello symphonic-andante*)

Gauk

Quote from: edurban on Monday 29 April 2013, 00:05
That Drewes performance (on Urania) is the version I grew up with (and still may have somewhere.) 

Me too - in those days one was lucky to get anything at all.

LeonieundNinia

The Urania recording has actually a cut in the performance: 4th movement from bar 356 to bar 377, omitting the presentation of the theme by Fagotts and Horns/Clarinetts/Flutes and Trumpets ... and proceeding directly with the String-fugato. One of the greatest passages of this movement has been maimed by this.
This cut has been reported by Frida Draeseke in a letter to Theodor Röhmeyer, but she was not sure if she had heard the symphony, conducted by Drewes, with this cut before. Frida Draeseke, besides this, agreed very much with Drewes interpretations and did especially like very much a performance of the pianoconcerto with the Pianist Hermann Drews (born 19.4.1899 in Pforzheim) - yes, actually this name! the concert was performed by Drews and Drewes.