Sigurd Lie (1871-1904)

Started by Gauk, Sunday 19 May 2013, 15:50

Previous topic - Next topic

Gauk

Just a note to mention that it is possible still to hear a real rarity, the Symphony in A minor by Sigurd Lie, on the BBC iPlayer. It was broadcast on "Through the Night" on 17 May. Note that depending on which version of iPlayer you use, it may not show up in the listing, but it begins 2h25m into the sequence.

Lie is a virtually unknown Norwegian composer who died of TB and wrote very little in his short life.

Note that this broadcast is of a commercial recording, available from the Norwegian company 2L.

Richard Moss

As well as the 2L recording, there is also a suite of his on the Intim label - an album called 'Norwegian Rendevous II (available on the e-music web-site and, io asusme, elsewhere).

Richard

eschiss1

thanks! have been wanting to hear that, I remember a good review. I've seen a few scores of songs I think, but that's all...

JeremyMHolmes

Thanks for the tip Gauk - I listened to it on iPlayer, and have now purchased it direct from 2L.no as a download, and have ordered (and received) the other CD mentioned above too. Great stuff!!

Phillip21

FYI I have just posted my performance of Lie's Vuggevise from his 4 Pianostykker to YouTube, on: http://youtu.be/o3Ai-5DMA4o

Balapoel

Welcome to UC. I've seen/heard your renditions of unsung composers. Great job!

eschiss1

I see he was a friend (or at least good colleague?) of Grieg's, according to some notes to a performance of the latter's 4 Psalms/Hymns Op.74 (quoting a letter from Grieg to Lie from 1895, not specifically about the psalms but provided for general context.) (Apologies if already in provided information...)