News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Gustav Hägg (1867-1925)

Started by britishcomposer, Sunday 09 June 2013, 15:45

Previous topic - Next topic

britishcomposer

Dear members,

I have just uploaded a recording of the Piano Trio by Gustaf Hägg, a 1977 recording from Swedish Radio P2. It's quite a substantial piece, Lasting 38 minutes.
I haven't had time to listen to it yet so I cannot recommend it. You will judge for yourself if it has any virtues!

Gustaf was a prominent organist and a cousin of the better known Jacob Adolf Hägg.

More Information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gustaf_H%C3%A4gg

http://www.nad.riksarkivet.se/sbl/Presentation.aspx?id=13978

semloh

Thank you so much for uploading this. It is greatly appreciated, and I am looking forward to a careful listen later today.  :)

eschiss1

The trio's movements are

1. Allegro moderato e appassionato
2. Andante — Poco agitato — a tempo — Poco agitato
3. Scherzo: Allegro vivace — Trio: Meno mosso
4. Allegro con fuoco

(source: Swedishmusicalheritage.com)

(shows up in HMB in late 1897, published by Leuckart of Leipzig, so published a year after composition.)

Mark Thomas

Thanks to Mathias for the upload and to Eric for the movement titles. Something to look forward to hearing tomorrow.

semloh

What a marvellously bold opening! This is so enjoyable, and an epitome of romantic chamber music - melody, passion, tenderness and structure.

My only uneasiness is that at virtually 39 minutes, it's not far off double the length of his Symphony in E falt major, and more than double that of his Symphony No.2 in B flat major. Am I being too picky in suggesting that, despite its charm and passion, it is a little too long in relation to its substance?

Or, maybe I need to concentrate for longer!  ::)

eschiss1

Semloh- he only wrote one symphony, in D (1899, in ms), I believe, and I know of no recording of it. I think you are confusing him with his cousin, but perhaps not. Please, more info, more info! (And as to his cousin Jakob, I have a recording of that first symphony, but not of his 2nd. Hrm :) )

Alan Howe

Posted elsewhere by Kevin Pearson regarding the Piano Trio and moved here:

Thanks for posting this as I was unfamiliar with Hägg. This is a very nice trio and I enjoyed it immensely. I found a couple of other things on Spotify and will check those out as well.  ;)

Kevin

semloh

Quote from: eschiss1 on Monday 10 June 2013, 02:15
Semloh- he only wrote one symphony, in D (1899, in ms), I believe, and I know of no recording of it. I think you are confusing him with his cousin, but perhaps not. Please, more info, more info! (And as to his cousin Jakob, I have a recording of that first symphony, but not of his 2nd. Hrm :) )

You are quite right, Eric!  :-[
Jakob Hägg's Sym. in E flat major is op.2, and can be heard on YouTube. As for my files claiming to be the 2nd symphony, heaven knows what they are.... I will need  to do some detective work. ;D

Despite all that, I still think the Trio is a tad too long.

eschiss1

the answer's always Prokofiev's Scythian Suite.

(long story and not very funny. ;) )