Most Memorable Unsung Tune.

Started by John H White, Sunday 07 July 2013, 13:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter1953

Quote from: JimL on Monday 08 July 2013, 20:16
That's a shame, because the Ponti performance uses an edition (probably by Reinecke) that hacks much of the opening tutti out.

I am aware of that but the shorter opening makes the concerto – to my ears – more effective and besides, I like Ponti's powerful  introduction.

Gerhard Griesel

The 'main' tune from Kalinnikov's Symphony No. 1, first movement.

kolaboy

No.23 from Thalberg's "Les soirees de Pausilippe". Next to 17 & 18 it is the piece that has stayed foremost in my mind (though the entire collection is masterful)... and  there are some lovely harmonic things going on near the end of the piece...

Mark Thomas

Melody is the absolute bedrock of music for me, which is one of the reasons I love Raff's music so much. Many of my favourites are by Raff, as you'd expect. Off the top of my head: the main theme of the slow movement of the Piano Trio No.1, the fabulous horn melodies in both the Festival Overture and the fourth movement of the cantata Die Sterne, the barcarole-like melody in the second movement of the Suite for Piano & Orchestra, both the main themes of the Piano Concerto's slow movement, the song Lorelei, etc., etc. A couple of non-Raff examples: the melody on which Dohnanyi bases the opening of the first movement his early F major Symphony is instantly memorable, the duet "Tu la dit" from Act IV of Meyerbeer's Les Huguenots always sends shivers down my spine... the list goes on and on.

X. Trapnel

1. Dukas, Symphony in C, second movement, second subject.
2. Hadley, The Trees So High, 3rd movement, trio.
3. Lajtha, Symphony no. 4, 2nd movement, central section (though the whole movement, in fact the whole symphony is gorgeous).
4. Chadwick, Symphonic Sketches, Jubilee, second subject (the most beautiful melody ever written by an American composer? Could be.)
5. If Suk is unsung then the main theme of the Fantastic Scherzo.

X. Trapnel

How could I have omitted Atterberg? Second Symphony, second movement, adagio theme heard after Kalinnikov-like introduction. Breathtakingly, jaw-droppingly beautiful.

DennisS

There are many works that I could choose from. Like others, I could also nominate the march from Raff's Lenore symphony, Kalinnikov's  symphony no 1 first movement or Atterberg (but symphony no 8, 2nd movement adagio) but I would also like to nominate Braga Santos's 4th symphony 4th movement (both first and second subjects).

John H White

Of course I'm very gratified at the huge response to my initial message and I shall definitely have to investigate a lot of those melodies presented, but how many forum members can put their hand on their heart and say that they remembered a particular tune from an unsung composer for many years after just one hearing? That, I would argue, has to be the true test of a supremely memorable melody. I would say its relatively easy to "learn" a good  tune after more than one hearing. :)

Alan Howe

Draeseke Cello Sonata 1st movement (opening): one of the great "unendliche Melodien" of 19th century chamber music.

JimL

Just about every theme from Raff's Lenore is memorable, but I'd have to put the second subject of the first movement up there with the March.  Also every tune in the Piano Concerto.  The opening of Hummel's B minor Piano Concerto never left me from the first time I heard it.  And, also, of all things, the second themes in the final movements of both Herz' Concertos Nos. 1 and 3.

FBerwald

Quote from: John H White on Tuesday 09 July 2013, 14:51
.... but how many forum members can put their hand on their heart and say that they remembered a particular tune from an unsung composer for many years after just one hearing? .....

I repeat my choice "Bortkiewicz's Piano Concerto No. 1" I remember each and ever note of the 1st movement!  :D
I would like to add 2 more:
1. The theme from Rhapsody on Ukranian Themes by Lyapunov stays with me!
2. Paul Graener - Die Flöte von Sanssouci [suite for flute and chamber orchestra], Op. 88, Movement 1 - Introduktion und Sarabande: At the very beginning, there is a hushed introspective string opening over which the flute plays a melody that will haunt me to my dying days. I don't know if anyone else finds this beautiful...but it takes me to another world!!!

Wheesht

The very beginning of Boughton's 3rd Symphony really grabbed my attention when I first heard it and has stayed with me since then.

eschiss1

Hrm. The recording is unavailable but you're reminding me that high (highest? not sure...) on my list would be the opening of Boughton's _2nd_ symphony "Deirdre". :) More elusive theme, but it's stuck with me...

Some things in Medtner - the "Hymn" in the finale of his piano quintet e.g. ... too...

JimL

The second subject from the Arensky violin concerto only needs to be heard once.  It will stay with you ever after.

Gauk

Quote from: John H White on Tuesday 09 July 2013, 14:51
Of course I'm very gratified at the huge response to my initial message and I shall definitely have to investigate a lot of those melodies presented, but how many forum members can put their hand on their heart and say that they remembered a particular tune from an unsung composer for many years after just one hearing? That, I would argue, has to be the true test of a supremely memorable melody. I would say its relatively easy to "learn" a good  tune after more than one hearing. :)

I think the test is "many years after", rather than "just one hearing", since it is not often that you hear a piece only once, if you like it. Just "tunes you like" is not really John's question. The big tune from Kalinnikov's Symphony No. 1 is certainly one that I can hum to order despite not having heard it for years, but there are a lot of memorable tunes that stay with me for a few weeks after any listening and then drift off. Usually I think I know, for instance, the big tune from Fibich's Piano Trio, but I admit that I can exactly recall it right now. On the other hand I can conjure out of memory the slow movement of Pixis's Concerto for Violin and Piano. If I worked hard I might be able to recall the big tune from Howard Hanson's 2nd Symphony also.

One problem is remembering the tune but not remembering what it is - there is one tune that many times has popped into my head leaving me thinking "what IS that?". Now I am used to it and have worked out the identity of the repeat offender - Arensky's Egyptian Nights ballet.