News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Conrad Ansorge (1862-1930)

Started by LateRomantic75, Wednesday 22 January 2014, 01:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Thomas

It's probably being digitised because someone has requested (and paid for) the scan. I wonder if it presages a recording in due course?

tpaloj

Lately, I contacted Berlin's Staatsbibliotek about the Piano Concerto Op.28 digitization. It had been unavailable for over a year, but their helpful staff corrected the issue (due to some kind of error it couldn't be accessed before).

Another unsung work for people to digest. I really like how there's a full performance history written on the cover page. Many penciled corrections and alterations decorate the ornate pages of this most curious manuscript. Here's a link to those interested...

https://digital.staatsbibliothek-berlin.de/werkansicht?PPN=PPN730113302&PHYSID=PHYS_0001&DMDID=

eschiss1

tpaloj

I'm very happy to present a Dorico/Noteperformer audio of the whole Ansorge concerto!

Structurally, it's a traditional romantic, 3-movement virtuosic Piano Concerto with a difficult chord/endurance heavy piano part. According to notes on the cover page of the manuscript, it was performed a total of six/seven times in the 1920s. Most pages bear several layers of heavy redactions, corrections, pasteovers and additions in blue and red crayon and pencil. This was very challenging to transcribe, to say the least, but it was a great learning experience for me.

I believe Oliver Triendl is set to record this piece in the near future. The music, clearly influenced in part by the  Liszt, Busoni and Pfitzner concertos and others, is an exciting ride from start to its powerful conclusion!

https://youtu.be/0Fr6S5-1O1s

FBerwald

The video seems to have been taken down.

Gareth Vaughan

You are right. A copyright claim by someone called Monika Adam!

tpaloj

Quote from: Gareth Vaughan on Monday 06 June 2022, 20:46You are right. A copyright claim by someone called Monika Adam!
Unknown to me at the time I created this reconstruction from Ansorge's autograph, the score had been edited and performance materials made a few months earlier by someone. That edition had registered for scientific copyright (or urtext or something, I've forgotten what it was called) of 25 years. Monika Adam represents a music rights organization which controls those copyrights and claimed the video.

In my opinion it was unfair, given that my electronic version, for which I did not even use their copyrighted edition at all, is quite in a different medium altogether and clearly there was no financial loss whatsoever this video could have caused them.

Mark Thomas

As far as YouTube is concerned, if a claim is made against you, you are presumed guilty - see David Hurwitz's rant against the iniquity of this policy.

TerraEpon

Quote from: tpaloj on Monday 06 June 2022, 21:34In my opinion it was unfair, given that my electronic version, for which I did not even use their copyrighted edition at all, is quite in a different medium altogether and clearly there was no financial loss whatsoever this video could have caused them.

Given you did use it direct from the manuscript, created over a decade before any copyright that could still hold on it, you had every legal right to make your version.

Unfortunately as said above, that's doesn't stop from getting claimed on YT, but you can make a counter claim and I believe the person trying to claim it would have to actually sue you at that point to get it taken back down.

Alan Howe

Oh dear - sounds horrid. What a muddle.