Vieuxtemps Cello Concertos (Hyperion)

Started by edurban, Thursday 20 February 2014, 06:01

Previous topic - Next topic

edurban

From the Feb BBC Music:

"...Rare Vieuxtemps and Ysaye have been occupying Alban Gerhardt of late.  The German cellist went to Antwerp to record the disc, which includes two Vieuxtemps concertos, with the Royal Flemish Orchestra and conductor Josep Caballe-Domenech, for Hyperion Records..."

I assume the Ysaye is the Meditation and/or the Serenade, both short-ish pieces for cello and orchestra.

I've had the Schiff/Marriner versions since vinyl days...the reviews would have to be pretty splendid for me to invest in another set.  That being said, the a minor concerto has some of my favorite stormy Vieuxtemps writing for orchestra, so who knows.

David

eschiss1

Though it would be interesting (if a bit odd, considering- well, there's violin/piano music I think on one of the violin/orchestra releases on Hyperion) if the Ysaÿe turns out to be the solo cello sonata... :)

FBerwald

Ironic that Vieuxtemps [to my ears! :D] goes to a certain depth in the cello concertos [1st movement of the 2nd!!!] that he quite doesn't pull off in the violin concertos. Thank GOD for the hand injury that caused him to take a sabbatical from violin which resulted in these two gems!

mjkFendrich

@edurban:
      Thanks a lot for this great news, I have been waiting a long time for seeing this gap to be closed!

QuoteThough it would be interesting (if a bit odd, considering- well, there's violin/piano music I think on one of the violin/orchestra releases on Hyperion) if the Ysaÿe turns out to be the solo cello sonata... :)

No, it will be the two pieces for cello & orchestra mentioned above (Méditation Op.16 and Serenade Op.22),
see
    http://albangerhardt.com/deutsch/repertoire/
and
    http://albangerhardt.com/vieuxtemps-concertos-first-edit/

The only pity is that Ysaye's Poème nocturne Op.29 in its original version for Vn,Vcl&Orch is not included.

QuoteIronic that Vieuxtemps [to my ears! :D] goes to a certain depth in the cello concertos [1st movement of the 2nd!!!] that he quite doesn't pull off in the violin concertos. Thank GOD for the hand injury that caused him to take a sabbatical from violin which resulted in these two gems!

Being an amateur violinist myself, I fully agree with you on this point - his violin concerti often are a bit dull!