Dynam-Victor Fumet – Raphaël Fumet on hybrid'music

Started by Wheesht, Wednesday 09 July 2014, 09:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Wheesht

The name Dynam-Victor Fumet has long been a vague presence at the back of my mind – and there is a Koch CD on my shelf that I bought many years ago and haven't listened to in a while. It contains orchestral works by d'Indy, Honegger and Fumet (whose first name is consistently misspelled Dyam-Victor), but try as I might, I cannot find his La Nuit particularly memorable. A newish CD on Hybrid'Music (H1830) with the Orchestre du Palais de Tauride - Saint-Pétersbourg conducted by Mikhail Golikov is a different matter altogether for me. It contains what it claims are world premières of Sabbat Rustique and Le Mystère de la Terre and also the Symphonie de l'Âme by Fumet's son Raphaël Fumet (1898-1979). I would not venture to compare these works with anything else as I don't really have the vocabulary, but for me the music on this disc by Fumet both père et fils is a real wallow. The label's website is rather strange to navigate in I thought, but I was able to get the CD from another supplier.

X. Trapnel

I've long been curious about Dynam-Victor Fumet from the description of his life and work in Laurence Davies' Cesar Franck and His Circle. I have a CD of music by Raphael F. which also has a work for string orchestra entitled La Nuit, same conductor as on the Koch-Schwann disc and more or less the same length. A little internet research turns up both being compared to Verklarte Nacht. Odd, but I'm wondering if the misspelling of "Dynam" points to a worse error of attribution.

Wheesht

I'm not at home and don't have access to the liner notes for that CD. It does seem odd that La Nuit is not in Fumet's work list on http://gabriel-fumet.net