News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Hahn

Started by eschiss1, Saturday 09 August 2014, 05:14

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Going out on a limb here and guessing that Reynaldo Hahn's 140th birth anniversary today (or this year, even) has gone without a plop or any other notice from record companies or otherwise, but... *notice* *note* ;)

kolaboy

Par for the course.

matesic

Unless 140 years has some special significance for Hahn that escapes me (what does that cryptic wink mean, Eric?), wouldn't justice then demand "celebrating" every composer's anniversary every 10 years? Several dozen composers every year?

mikehopf

Why not celebrate a composer's birth date every year? I share a birthday with Offenbach - 20th June for all those who wish to send me greetings - and our local classical radio station always dedicates a program or plays a few selections of his works on this date. Same of course for other composers, even the more obscure ones!

matesic

Excellent idea! Today I shall drink a toast to Alexander Mosolov (b.1900), Wilhelm Grosz (1894), Frederick Jerome Work (1880), Arpad Szendy (1863) and, most famously, Joseph Schuster (1748).

eschiss1

Schuster's a bit early for us, but I've taken an interest in his symphonies and masses over @ IMSLP... (a, but not the, Franz Schubert wrote a biography of him in 1823 that seems interesting...)