Walter Niemann (1876-1953) Piano Sonatas etc.

Started by Alan Howe, Tuesday 09 December 2014, 20:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Mark Thomas

These pieces sound right up my street I must say - definitely a New Year buy.

eschiss1

I'd recommend too having a look at e.g. his scores @ IMSLP (mostly for piano, but a few for violin and piano and one or two for string orchestra etc.), but given his deathdate of 1949, that's an option only accessible to those in the US and Canada until 2020 or so.

Aramiarz

Niemann is one very forgotten composer. This is the second Cd dedicated fully to him. Excellent notice!

Rob H

The second? What is the first?
I am aware of the recording of his transcription of Tschaikovski's 6th Symphony (Propiano PPR224530). There is also Cord Garben's recording of his suite Hamburg op107 (on Pons Musica 0413) but this includes works by other composers. Individual pieces have appeared on Bis (Japan suite) and Propiano (Louisiana Suite op97) - probably others I have missed.
Pianophilia had downloads of some archive radio recordings as well (Der Orchidengarten, Sonata in Em, Bali op116).
Very much looking forward to this new disc - let's hope it's the first of a series...

Rob

Aramiarz

In einem alten Patrizierhause" op. 162. Ein Zyklus nach Thomas Manns ,, Buddenbrooks". This Cd was available in JPC, but today is sold out!

Aramiarz

Alan Howe

I think you'll find that these are all computer-generated performances.

Mark Thomas

Indeed they are, but to be fair the piano-only tracks aren't too bad. It's the chamber and orchestral pieces which always sound so artificial.

Alan Howe

DennisS

Have just listened again to the sound bites of this forthcoming release. I am quite impressed by what I have been listening to, especially Sonata no 1! I have a particular soft spot for romantic piano music! Have already placed my pre-order!!

Rob H

Amongst the computer generated recordings in the romana-hamburg site is a disc of historical performances by Niemann himself.
Rob

DennisS

My copy of W. Niemann's piano music on Grand Piano has just arrived today - a nice New Year present! I will be listening to it in the next day or so and will of course report back to UC with my comments.

Aramiarz

Ok Dear Dennis! I ordered from USA, and will arrive maybe in one month more!!

Alan Howe

Finally (!) got around to purchasing the Grand Piano CD as it's on offer at jpc. It really is quite something: fully romantic piano music of real quality. So, if you have a sweet tooth...