Castelnuovo-Tedesco...1st Violin Concerto.

Started by Revilod, Friday 06 February 2015, 12:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Revilod

Don't miss the first recording of C-T's First Violin Concerto on Naxos (played by Tianwa Yang) , just issued. Sunny and tuneful it's a lovely piece.

Revilod

Has anybody else heard this concerto yet. Heifetz played it. It really is splendid... melodic, superbly orchestrated, colourful and with that inevitability and seamlessness of thought which seems to be a characteristic of C-T's music. Frankly, I enjoyed it far more than VCs by Widor or Jongen (though I love his Harp Concerto).

Alan Howe

It's on my wish-list. I'll report back in due course.

Mark Thomas

For some reason, unfortunately this recording isn't yet available for download at classicsonline.com.

mjkFendrich

QuoteFor some reason, unfortunately this recording isn't yet available for download at classicsonline.com.

but it is available from Qobuz in standard or even HD quality since Feb. 3rd.

Mark Thomas

Ah, thanks very much. I shall pop over to France, then.

eschiss1

If that itinerary includes the US, I hope this time I'm close enough by to say hi (hopefully closer by than in 1999). :D

BTW He wrote one movement for string quartet, from his Op.170 set, in 1960. (Op.170 No.28: "Ein Quartett-Satz on the name of Walter Arlen") (Op.170 no.28 composed in two days in September 1960- almost the same time I was born, give or take a few days and 9 years prior, but still...)
Anyone know anything about the Op.170 set of Greeting Cards, btw? Many different instrumentations... don't know of recordings off the top of my head. Intriguing. (Yes, much later than the usual orbit of this forum, though only someone who's heard the works could say if he'd changed his style all _that_ much in the interim. (It was performed in August 2010 in Schloss Laudon.))

eschiss1

Hrm .Actually, according to the Castelnuovo Tedesco papers*, he did write string quartets (of a larger size), too. They're just all or mostly in manuscript. (Quartet in G op.58 may be the exception- I vaguely recall that one was published? Yes? No? - the other two are described as quartet no.2 op.139 and quartet no.3 op.203. Plus two piano quintets in manuscript in the same collection of his manuscript papers (see below, anycase...)

*That link is a transcription into text, with less information, from this PDF Finding Aid link at the US library of congress, which actually has his papers, if you were wondering about that link :D - Castelnuovo-Tedesco Finding Aid PDF. So go there for more detail. :) (They also list at least 3 string trios. A chamber group could have a lot of fun with performing and recording his music, if his family - see 1968 death date - and the LoC - etc. etc. - and the public proved equally interested. Maybe Naxos could give these quartets, quintets and trios a go too...) also a cello concerto under works w/o opus number... several operas... I wonder how many of these manuscripts are editable and produceable? (Yes, I know, so many manuscripts, so little time.
And agreed, hope the first concerto lives up to these expectations, of course. *going to see if I can find it on YouTube (over Roku with TV speakers), impatient person I am.*

JimL

C-T's grandson Greg is a FB friend of mine, although he is not involved much in music.

Alan Howe

That's interesting, Jim. Does he talk about his grandfather much?

JimL

Not really.  I've sent some FB PMs to him about his father, but most of his posts are political in nature.  A bit of a leftist firebrand, he is.  I think he's an attorney.

Alan Howe

BerlinExpat

Quotealso a cello concerto under works w/o opus number... several operas... I wonder how many of these manuscripts are editable and produceable?

Grove lists a Vc concerto as op. 72 (1932-33), so is it implied there's a second languishing in manuscript?

I have the following operas on CD:
Mandragora (Rome RAI) I think it's a wonderful piece and IMHO should be better known.
The Merchant of Venice (Première performance, Florence 1961 - radio recording, not the best quality. I feel the opera grows in strength and stature as it progresses and would appreciate having a modern recording.
The Importance of Being Earnest (Première RAI broadcast 1972) CT set practically the whole play to music - 2hrs 20 mins! The quality is very good for its age.
As far as I know All's Well that Ends Well, op. 186 and Saul, op. 191 remain unpeformed.

Not CT, but another Merchant of Venice is being performed in St Etienne in May and supported by Palezzetto Bru Zane. It's Reynaldo Hahn's Le Marchant de Venise. It could be a future release in their French opera series.

Gareth Vaughan

Box 90/12 in Works Woo in Library of Congress C-T Archive contains a concerto for cello and orchestra (printed not MS score). Box 14/2 contains the printed score of the Op. 72 Vc concerto.

Claude Torres

You'll find "La Mandragola" on YouTube

Edith Martelli, Ferruccio Mazzoli, Rosa Laghezza, Aldo Bottion, Giorgio Lormi, Mario Basiola Jr., Saverio Porzano.
Orchestra della Rai di Milano
Ferdinando Guarnieri, conductor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7h7bHdkLdEc

Also "Evangélion (A. Marangoni)" has been released on Naxos
http://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp?item_code=8.573316

Many Jewish works are available either on CD or in mp3 (downloadable from iTunes or Amazon) on Milken Archives Site
Memorial Service for the Departed, Naomi & Ruth, ...
http://www.milkenarchive.org/people/view/all/487/Mario+Castelnuovo-Tedesco

Claude