Alexander Tcherepnin (1899-1977)

Started by John Hudock, Thursday 15 July 2010, 16:21

Previous topic - Next topic

John Hudock

I've just listened to the first two piano concertos by Tcherepnin on the complete set of concertos with Murray Mclachlan on piano and the Chetham SO. (There is another complete recording with Noriko Ogawa on piano and the Singapore SO which also includes his symphonies).

What marvelous and exciting works. They are tuneful and vibrant both. On first listen I have a slight preference for the first, but enjoyed both immensely. I can't wait to listen to the other 4 piano concertos and then move on to the symphonies.

Here is a link to the Tcherepnin Society (both his father and son are composers as well).

http://www.tcherepnin.com/alex/bio_alex.htm
The bio says of his early style:

"In his works until about 1921 is found a hybrid style successfully linking the Romantic impetuosity (but not the Romantic textures) of Rachmaninoff and Scriabin with the grotesquerie of early Prokofiev. The result was fresh, imaginative music, such as the Bagatelles and Sonatine Romantique, that quickly made a reputation for the young composer. "

A cross between Rachmaninoff, Scriabin and Prokofiev sounds about right. It will be interesting to hear the progression of his style in the later works.

chill319

For what it's worth, I can testify at second hand that Tcherepnin was a generous mentor to his students -- a behavior by no means common among composition professors.

giles.enders

AT. was the son of Nicolai Tcherepnin who was also a composer  and incidently Diaghilev's first conductor. AT composed six piano concertos which were originally issued by the Olympia label and played by Murray McLachlan.  Three of these are now on a budget label. All of them worth hearing.  AT had two sons both were composers one died about five years ago but the other  lives in the USA. AT was born in Paris and I think his mother was Chinese.

TerraEpon

The piano concertos, along with the symphonies, were also recorded on BIS and reissued on one of their budget boxes.

I love his piano music (especially the Bagatelles) but most of the orchestral stuff didn't quite 'do' it for me.

DennisS

I have just bought the BIS box set of all the symphonies (4) and piano concertos (6) of Alexander Tcherepnin. I became interested in this composer because of the references to Prokofiev. Prokofiev, as some members of the forum may know, is one of my absolute favourites, and I especially love his piano concertos. Indeed, my love of classical music virtually started with Prokofiev, whose entire repertoire I systematically explored when I was quite young. No surprise then, that I bought the box set! Reading the liner notes, I noted that Tcherepnin regarded Prokofiev as his idol and this was especially obvious in Tcherepnin's earliest works. I have so far listened to all four disks at least once in the set|and am already very, very keen on his music. I especially like the piano concertos, very exciting, and it is still quite obvious just how influenced by Prokofiev, Tcherepnin was! The symphonies too, are all equally exciting and the playing of the Singapore Symphony Orchestra as well as the recorded sound, are both excellent. Alexander Tcherepnin's music, is for me, a little bit like Prokofiev brought up to date. I also feel that there is a touch of Shostakovich in some of the works and this works well for me as well.

Cheers
Dennis

Pengelli

This sounds interesting. Tell me more!

Gerontius

I first encountered the music of Tcherepnin on an LP from the Louisville Ocrchestra Society many years ago. I was captivated by Alexander Tcherepnin's performance of his own Piano Concerto No. 2, with Robert Whitney conducting the Lousiville Orchestra. This LP hooked me on Tcherepnin and since then I have acquired just about everything by this charming cosmopolitan composer on LP and then CD.
Have any of you heard any of the other Louisville LPs? That was a great series, that remarkably was partially reissued on CDs recently. There are some fabulous 'unsung' composers represented there. 8)

JimL

My first Hungarian Concerto and Bruch S2 were from that series.  I had another one that had Guireaud's take on Le Chasseur Maudit, but it wasn't the major work.  I forget what was (maybe the actual Franck D minor S?)  On the Bruch S2, IIRC there was also a Concert Overture in A by Julius Rietz, which I found very attractive.  I wonder why nobody has used it as a filler piece on another CD?  In any event, it is indeed a shame that Jorge Mester (who was the conductor back then) has pretty much ignored unsung repertory ever since he came out here to Pasadena!  Apparently he's good friends with Howard Shelley, but whenever Shelley comes to town to play with the Pasadena Symphony he only plays Mozart or Rachmaninoff.  :'(

Pengelli

It says his first symphony provoked a riot!

eschiss1

Quote from: Pengelli on Saturday 31 July 2010, 17:23
It says his first symphony provoked a riot!

I believe because of the percussion-only scherzo, yes.

eschiss1

Quote from: JimL on Saturday 31 July 2010, 15:57
My first Hungarian Concerto and Bruch S2 were from that series.  I had another one that had Guireaud's take on Le Chasseur Maudit, but it wasn't the major work.  I forget what was (maybe the actual Franck D minor S?)  On the Bruch S2, IIRC there was also a Concert Overture in A by Julius Rietz, which I found very attractive.  I wonder why nobody has used it as a filler piece on another CD?  In any event, it is indeed a shame that Jorge Mester (who was the conductor back then) has pretty much ignored unsung repertory ever since he came out here to Pasadena!  Apparently he's good friends with Howard Shelley, but whenever Shelley comes to town to play with the Pasadena Symphony he only plays Mozart or Rachmaninoff.  :'(
I've been curious about Rietz- an overture and a few wind concertante works recorded, but three symphonies (no. 1, op.13, Gm, 1844ish; no. 2 in A???, no. 3, E-flat, op.31, 1856), also a violin concerto (op. 30 in G, pub 1855) and cello concerto (op. 16 in E), an early string quartet (1820s or 1830s- published around 1833, on IMSLP, op.1; looks neat...), and other works, that might repay attention...
Unfortunate re Mester. But the Louisville Orchestra history and record label (and Robert Whitney's involvement too) was indeed a treasure. (Early recordings of some now-classic modern works, too- Britten violin concerto, Martinu 5, etc. and the premiere of Milhaud symphony 6. etc.)

JimL

Rietz is an interesting figure, well worth a look, IMHO.  Mendelssohn's successor at Leipzig, and Reinecke's predecessor, his place in history is noteworthy in itself.  If that overture is any indication his music certainly merits some attention.  A violin concerto and a cello concerto might be worth a look by Hyperion for their respective series, provided they aren't lost.  Or maybe someone could put in a word for Rietz with my new Facebook friend, Klaus Heymann.  I'm too modest to suggest myself, of course...but I could be nudged. 8)

eschiss1

Quote from: JimL on Sunday 01 August 2010, 01:02
Rietz is an interesting figure, well worth a look, IMHO.  Mendelssohn's successor at Leipzig, and Reinecke's predecessor, his place in history is noteworthy in itself.  If that overture is any indication his music certainly merits some attention.  A violin concerto and a cello concerto might be worth a look by Hyperion for their respective series, provided they aren't lost.  Or maybe someone could put in a word for Rietz with my new Facebook friend, Klaus Heymann.  I'm too modest to suggest myself, of course...but I could be nudged. 8)
Actually, apparently Kistner just published a piano/cello reduction of the cello concerto in 2000. (http://worldcat.org/oclc/644112724. It seems the full score, pub. ca. 1844, still exists also in the locked section of a library, q.v. http://worldcat.org/oclc/554254791. At least, if I'm interpreting correctly. It might be that the Kistner is an orchestral score and piano score, or that neither of them is...)

giles.enders

So JimL has Klaus Heymann as a Facebook friend. KH is getting on in years and I selfishly wonder if he has secured the future of Naxos so that the corporate giants don't get their sticky and artistically murderous hands on the company. Be a devil Jim, ask him !!!

JimL