News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

VCs on Dacapo

Started by Alan Howe, Saturday 13 June 2009, 14:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Kriton

...and I just noticed all this is rather off thread, apologies!

(So I might add that I still don't like his violin concerto, but it hasn't been recorded by Dacapo anyway...)

FBerwald

I dont understand Nielsen's violin concerto but there is a cantabile passage well into the first 4 or 5 mins of the Ist movement that I dont mind returning to.

Alan Howe

What's not to understand? Isn't the VC one of Nielsen's most approachable mature works?

chill319

I think I need to hear the Nielsen VC with fresh ears myself. I'd be interested to know which recording/s of the Nielsen VC appeal/s most to forum members. Something on Da Capo, perhaps?

Alan Howe

A really marvellous recording of the Nielsen VC is that by Cho-Liang Lin on Sony. And you get the Sibelius thrown in. Sadly, it appears that it may be deleted, although it's still available at Amazon over here...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sibelius-Nielsen-Concertos-Philharmonia-Orchestra/dp/B00005NUPX/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1275296309&sr=1-10
...and at Amazon in the States...
http://www.amazon.com/Sibelius-Nielsen-Violin-Concertos-Carl/dp/B00077F94I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1275296435&sr=1-1

FBerwald

Quote from: Alan Howe on Sunday 30 May 2010, 09:57
What's not to understand? Isn't the VC one of Nielsen's most approachable mature works?

I'm sorry but I find his quirky Clarinet more approachable... even his flute concerto! I simply dont get the violin concerto.........perhaps I need to listen to it again!!!!

chill319

Thanks, Alan. Lin/Salonen duly ordered, opting for the US release as it has been remastered whereas the UK disk has not. I dithered for a minute between this and the Borgstrom before choosing.

chill319

Have been listening to the Lin/Salonen recording of the Nielsen VC. To borrow from another thread, before hearing this recording I didn't know the work was this good (or better than good). The VC's intense lyricism is all the more moving for being utterly unsentimental. And the soundspace provided by the engineers really lets the fiddle float. Pure pleasure.

Alan Howe

That is a simply marvellous CD.

FBerwald

Speaking of Violin concertos how is SIGISMOND STOJOWSKI's concerto. I havent heard it but if its anything like his piano concerti, its sure to be headily romantic!!!

Alan Howe

The Stojowski VC is lovely - but the AP recording is compromised by the weak youth orchestra, more's the pity. Still worth trying, though; after all, when's a rival version likely to come out?