Emilie Mayer - Symphonies Nos. 1 and 2

Started by britishcomposer, Sunday 07 July 2019, 14:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

Well, those two symphonies would have to be very striking indeed because my enthusiasm for Mayer is very low at the moment I'm afraid. That's something I've got to live with, not liking every unsung composer out there.

eschiss1

I quite like other music of hers I've heard, and the complaints so far leveled at the CD don't really land with me since nothing's been said about form (not sonata form or textbook, but whether- and students sometimes manage this- the work's sense of timing and rightness, the use of material, compel to the ear; the timing part, in particular, is essential. Give me a composer who seems to understand that and I can overlook a lot. Rheinberger is not "original" (though his themes are very memorable) but his best chamber music has a terrific sense of timing...)

dhibbard

Where did you find the Symphony no 7?    and yes, the Symphony no 4 on Capriccio label is impressive.. I agree with you there Alan.

eschiss1

Symphony no.7 once called 5 in F minor was recorded awhile back I think.

dhibbard

oh  is that the one on the Deyer label that I understand now is mislabled as Sym 5?    How could they record the symphony and not check the titles..etc??   

eschiss1

Name change/reconsideration/discoveries that led to reconsiderations, as with some similar changes in Rufinatscha's case, may have been recent, and maybe the disc doesn't sell well enough to make a new cover design [profitable], or something.

eschiss1

see the first page of this thread (btw unless our download is a drastically different performance by the same people...)

Kevin

I'm getting very confused... so her 'proper' symphony no. 5 is the one lost right?

Mark Thomas

Kevin

I wonder what's the story with those two symphonies being lost? It's not often that happens.

For the sake of Mayer fans out there I really CPO records all her extant symphonies(maybe they already have?)

eschiss1

Not often that two symphonies are lost, or that only two symphonies are lost? As to the former I disagree very strongly (in fact I'm not sure I follow you - only one of her symphonies was published at all, even being published is no guarantee of preservation, and manuscripts are far more fragile), as to the latter you're probably right.

eschiss1

btw the interesting notes to the new recording are available (for those of us like me who are, it is true, unlikely to acquire it at least for quite some time, given some alternatives that have popped up this year) @ Chandos.net and also (page 16 of PDF) list her symphonies (same list as on Wikipedia, I think.)

gprengel

Today her 2nd symphony was presented here with the beautiful score: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLxEmW9RFEU
It's the first time I heard something by her. Whereas the first 3 movements don't convince me very much I really enjoyed the Finale !!!
I will try to get to know now also her other symphonies ...

icharters

Harrogate Philharmonic Orchestra (UK) performed the 1st Symphony a couple of weeks ago - probably the first UK performance.  Players loved rehearsing it and the audience greatly enjoyed it.    I typeset the parts from the IMSLP manuscript and can be hired from our library if anyone wants to give it another airing. A couple of passages in the last movement needed to be simplified to be playable but otherwise well written and lots of interest for all parts.

Alan Howe