RPC Gablenz PC & Paderewski Polish Fantasy

Started by Alan Howe, Sunday 20 October 2019, 22:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Ilja

This is an excellent release in the Hyperion series. To me, the Gablenz is quite a complex piece with its sometimes sudden shifts in moods, but Plowright and the BBC Scots navigate it all very well and give the piece a depth that the old Stompel recording failed to reveal.

I had no expectations regarding Paderewski's Fantaisie Polonaise going in, but it turned out to be a very pleasant surprise: untypically easy-going for this composer and very tuneful. And again, expertly played by this combo of performers.

The recording lives up to Hyperion's high standard, although I would have liked the piano to be just the tiniest bit further to the back. But that's really a very minor niggle. Highly recommended.

Justin

Particularly with the first and second movements from Gablenz's concerto, we are entering "film music" territory here. The climax of the second movement is much more graceful than the Stompel recording, and frankly I think that it works both ways. However, crystal clear sound quality takes the cake for me, so I applaud Hyperion.

I am always pleased to hear vibrant melodic themes in post-WWI works.

Alan Howe

Strangely, it often seemed to me as though I were listening to a phantom PC by Elgar.

All I can sensibly say is that I believe this to be a major discovery - one of the most significant in Hyperion's RPC series. And for what it's worth, it knocks many a late-romantic PC into a cocked hat. It has everything: melody, passion, but also subtlety. Another feather in the well-stocked cap of Jonathan Plowright!

semloh

Quote from: Alan Howe on Thursday 17 June 2021, 12:15
Strangely, it often seemed to me as though I were listening to a phantom PC by Elgar.
Gracious me! I'll listen again with more careful attention - a pleasure for which no excuse is needed.