New Violin Concertos to discover

Started by Kevin, Wednesday 25 December 2019, 10:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Gareth Vaughan

I have always had a soft spot for Spohr's VC no.8, in which the solo violin assumes the character of an operatic diva. A lively, melodic and exhilarating work IMHO.

eschiss1

Is Myaskovsky's violin concerto (D minor, 1938) too modern for our remit?
One can now hear both versions (the original, in the work's premiere and I think the original version's only performance, as played by Oistrakh, in several different Brilliant Classics reissues or for about $10 download at Amazon ("Classical Treasures Composer Series: Nikolai Myaskovsky, Vol. 1"))...- the revision has received a fair number of recordings.)

mikehopf

Two violin concertos I'd like to see recorded: Horsley and Litolff.

Alan Howe

Ahem! This isn't a wish-list! Kevin S asked for recommendations of VCs to listen to beyond the ones he listed...

Revilod

The finest unsung Romantic violin concerto I know is Hamilton Harty's...still, astonishingly, only available in Ralph Holmes old, but fine, recording. Worthy to be ranked alongside Dvorak's and Glazunov's. Delius was a fan although it doesn't sound anything like him.

Kevin

Quote from: Revilod on Thursday 02 January 2020, 11:11
Worthy to be ranked alongside Dvorak's and Glazunov's.

High praise.

I've been happy with the suggestions so far... keep them coming!

Christopher

Sergei Bortkiewicz - Lyrical Intermezzo for Violin & Orchestra 'Des Frühlings und des Pan Erwachen' - download as per here - http://www.unsungcomposers.com/forum/index.php/topic,6015.msg63691.html#msg63691

mjmosca

May I recommend the first two violin concerti of Saint-Saens? The third is famous, of course and widely available, but the first two are excellent too. Actually the one known as the Second was composed before the First. The Second dates to 1858 [was not published until twenty years later] and is a beautiful, somewhat "Italianate" work, in the traditional 3 movements, but the First, which was inspired by Saint-Saens meeting Sarasate is a condensed work in one movement. It was written shortly after the earlier Second, and is a perfect jewel of a piece [in my opinion, of course!]. There are good recordings of both of these works, usually with the very famous Third violin concerto.