News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Taneyev Symphony 4

Started by Alan Howe, Friday 28 February 2020, 17:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Joachim Raff

For them who have subscribed to Digital Concert Hall (free with voucher)
Conductor N.Jarvi
https://www.digitalconcerthall.com/en/concert/1659#watch:1659-3

hyperdanny

I got the free voucher a few days ago and I saw/heard it 3 times already (I love the Taneyev 4)...absolutely fantastic performance, not so different from the one with the Philarmonia on Chandos.but with the added frisson of a live performance, and the Berliners on fire..riveting.
I believe this is really a piece that plays to Jarvi's père strenghts.
There's not much else in this forum's territory, but I urge you to check an equally great Berwald-Blomstedt concert.

jimsemadeni

Taneyev No.2 one of my favorites even if finished by someone else. I can barely stay in my seat during the last movement!

eschiss1

to some extent weren't #s1-3 all edited, if not necessarily completed, by others, helping to explain why the three of them were published so very posthumously? (I forget unfortunately.) ... anyway.

Ilja

Quote from: hyperdanny on Sunday 29 March 2020, 18:15
I got the free voucher a few days ago and I saw/heard it 3 times already (I love the Taneyev 4)...absolutely fantastic performance, not so different from the one with the Philarmonia on Chandos.
I found this version very different from the Chandos, to be honest. Overall it is much faster, particularly in the slow movement and the finale. And to be honest, to me at least the Chandos performance sounded a lot more ... considered than this one. Järvi is a great conductor, but he can also be very casual (probably a consequence of a very full schedule and little rehearsal) and to me the Berlin performance is a bit too slap-dash.
Quote from: jimsemadeni on Sunday 29 March 2020, 20:09
Taneyev No.2 one of my favorites even if finished by someone else. I can barely stay in my seat during the last movement!
Particularly in that 1990s recording under Fedoseyev. Awful sound, but what a performance.

hyperdanny

---interesting, that was just my impression from memory, I did not do any actual comparisons about tempi etc. so I could be wrong..I would not go as fas as to call the Berlin performance slapdash, though.