Smetana Festive Symphony

Started by dhibbard, Monday 27 April 2020, 14:42

Previous topic - Next topic

dhibbard

I have really enjoyed this work..composed in 1854 when hopes of Emperor Joseph becoming King of Bohemia were high.   This is Smetana's only formal symphony and he used the Austrian Imperial anthem.    I've been listening to the Naxos release...  quite charming.

https://www.amazon.com/Smetana-Festive-Symphony-Bartered-Overture/dp/B07BN4TB1Z/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=smetana+festive+symphony&qid=1587994920&sr=8-1

Alan Howe

I've tried many times to like this work, but find it overblown and wearing. However, to each his own...

alberto

I like the Scherzo, which sometimes (in any case very seldom) is performed on its own and seems to me to stand out.

Mark Thomas

I agree, Alberto, but overall the Symphony just doesn't work. Smetana's forte was clearly descriptive music, not absolute.

Kevin

Yes. All of Smetana's best work has an extra musical association like a death of a child, ringing in the ears etc. He was a lot like his mentor and idol Liszt in that way.

eschiss1

I wouldn't call the string quartet in E descriptive (and definitely not the piano trio.) (The second quartet is less popular but is as good a piece as the first.)

Kevin

That's why I called them extra musical. Fact is, Smetana couldn't create something in abstract terms. A string quartet couldn't just be a string quartet with him it had to have some sort a personal connection for him - his deafness in this case - as an example.

eschiss1

so what's that supposed to be for the 2nd quartet? (this sometimes seems circular- some works with names and stories- eg Smetana 1, Haydn's misnamed Miracle,...become more popular than equally good works by the same when one has a name/story, the other not)

Kevin

His second string quartet could be called "from my life part 2" it's a veritable sequel to the first one. It sounds anguished, unsettled and uncertain just like Smetana must have felt toward the end of his life. It's not a carefree work is what I'm getting at.

eschiss1

Kevin

What are you talking about goalposts? I'm very much a Smetana expert and I've read commentators say it's related to the first one which I agree with. They even compare the work to Janacek.

eschiss1

are you familiar with the expression "moving the goalposts" in a discussion-related language context??

Kevin

Look, we'll have to agree to disagree. It not worth my time arguing with you.

Alan Howe

And with that, back to the thread's subject, please.

Tapiola

I find this symphony more interesting than many "unsung" ones.