Felix Weingartner (1863-1942)

Started by Peter1953, Thursday 25 November 2010, 21:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonathan

Indeed, a very interesting listen, it does work surprisingly well in this orchestration!
Shame there isn't a modern recording.

minacciosa

I must agree with enthusiasm: I believe Weingartner to be just about the best of the conductor-composers, and my opinion is based solely upon the orchestral works I've heard and the scores I've seen. Let's hope we'll see the 7th Symphony soon. As I understand, it is unpublished; was it ever performed? I will investigate the chamber music, as I have many of those scores too, thanks to Sibley Library.

X. Trapnel

I found the 5th to be the standout among the Weingarnter symphonies, with a memorable Brucknerian scherzo. My favorite among composing conductors is Paul Paray; both of his symphonies are marvelous works, the second suggesting a synthesis of Faure and Magnard.

DennisS

I have been listening again to Weingartner these past two days, especially the VC and for me, his best symphony, symphony no 1., in which Weingartner is at his most inspired. Marvellous music. It would be very interesting to hear his symphony no 7.

Peter1953

While waiting for the release of Weingartner 7 I've listened again to his 5 String Quartets and String Quintet. I think a string quartet is one of the most intimate musical ensembles and if you like this genre, I can strongly recommend this chamber music. Lively movements are alternated with serene, deeply felt passages, and they are always melodious. Perhaps these works belong to Weingartner's most neglected music, but that is really unjustified. 

eschiss1

Musikproduktion Hoflich has released a new study score, of the Weingartner work I (anyway) know and appreciate best, his 6th symphony (I have no involvement with this score though). I like their new habit of including an incipit with each score...

Over here-wards.

JimL

Can anyone get me the tempo indication of the Canzona from the cello concerto?  The score is on IMSLP's wish list, I believe, and I can't find it anywhere else.

Mark Thomas

I have the second movement as a Cavatina, not a Canzona, Jim, but in any event I don't know the tempo indicatiion.

JimL

OMG!  I'm losing it!  Everything's getting dark and fuzzy...Who are you guys again?  ;) 

JimL

My razor-sharp memory has had a few too many close shaves.  ;D

jerfilm

eschiss1

Even a conductor like Weingartner might not have put in a tempo indication (well, hopefully, a metronome marking). The Fleisher Collection has a copy (Score & Parts, 613C Entire Work)- ask them?...

FBerwald

Quote from: JimL on Saturday 06 July 2013, 15:44
My razor-sharp memory has had a few too many close shaves.  ;D

"...Eddie. Is it a bee?..."

Peter1953

Over the past months Weingartner's music is growing and growing on me. Try his chamber music. This is really good. Very good indeed.

JimL

I called the Fleisher Collection and the guy who answered was very helpful.  The tempo of the Cavatine of the cello concerto is Andante.  Which is somehow not surprising.  ;)