Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Never commercially released:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNR0iVVKPIk

Jorge Bolet/ORF Symphony Orchestra/Ali Rahbari, conductor
14th May 1982

Wow!!

FBerwald

Nothing beats this. Now this is a concerto that needs revival and re-recordings!

Alan Howe

That's my view too. Way over the top - but gloriously so.

Alan Howe

Here's another Bolet performance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbbGeYYWoAU

This time with the New York PO under Zubin Mehta.

Alan Howe

Yes, I'd come across this - but how good it is to have it reproduced here. Thanks so much, John.

It looks as though Bolet must have travelled from New York to Vienna where the other YouTube performance was recorded - which is confirmed by the order of events mentioned in the article.

jimsemadeni

Yes! Way back in the seventies I just happened to turn the radio on right when this was about to be played and I captured it on cassette tape, has since those opening notes been one of my most memorable piano concerto favorites

4candles

It's a wonderful piece. I had the good fortune of receiving a copy of a radio performance by Bolet (by Joseph Marx Society's Berkant Haydin) just after the release of the Hyperion recording with Hamelin. I found Bolet's interpretation more satisfying, as he relishes the emotional pull in the music and gives it more time to breathe than Hamelin did, rather than throwing it off as a virtuosic showpiece (which it is, too, in a way).

I find Marx's Castelli Romani (2nd PC) very rewarding also, but I'm not wholly convinced by David Lively's recording, which is a little too heavy and lacking a sense of the fantastic for my taste.

eschiss1

Cadensa.bl.uk has the Bolet/RSO Wien broadcast by BBC 3 on November 26 1982, incidentally. (Shelfmark T5306) (and Hamelin's is listed also, as a live broadcast from June 1 1998.)

Re Castelli Romani: Universal Edition has this to say about it. (lots of sample pages in score - 140 pp. - visible on that page.)