Cesare di Castelbarco (1782-1860): Sonate caratteristiche sopra la Creazione

Started by MusFerd, Tuesday 16 March 2021, 15:56

Previous topic - Next topic

MusFerd

I would like to announce our performance of an outstanding musical discovery:

Cesare di Castelbarco (1782-1860), Sonate caratteristiche sopra la Creazione (printed Milano 1846)

The performance of the Orchester der Akademie St. Blasius directed by Karlheinz Siessl will be broadcasted as concert stream on Youtube this Sunday, 19.30 MET

The link to the stream will be published here soon - and here you can find some further information (in German, though):

https://www.tiroler-landesmuseen.at/termin/schatzkammer-innsbrucker-musikverein/

eschiss1

Several of his string quintets and other works are @ IMSLP with the result that I'm already curious about his music as a general thing, and am curious - thank you.

I presume from the worklist there that this work is Op.15 given there as "Characteristic Sonatas on [?Haydn's] 'Creation', for 2 Violins, Viola, Cello and Double Bass; or Violin, Cello and Piano". (The sonatas op.15 are mentioned in an issue of the Gazzetta di Milano that Google Books thinks should be in snippet view but date-estimates to around 1831 (obviously a copyright concern at 190 years old) so perhaps date from earlier than 1846, btw.)

Alan Howe

Guten Abend Dr Gratl!

Will this fascinating composition by Cesare di Castelbarco be recorded for commercial release on CD?

MusFerd

Quote from: eschiss1 on Tuesday 16 March 2021, 21:54
Several of his string quintets and other works are @ IMSLP with the result that I'm already curious about his music as a general thing, and am curious - thank you.

I presume from the worklist there that this work is Op.15 given there as "Characteristic Sonatas on [?Haydn's] 'Creation', for 2 Violins, Viola, Cello and Double Bass; or Violin, Cello and Piano". (The sonatas op.15 are mentioned in an issue of the Gazzetta di Milano that Google Books thinks should be in snippet view but date-estimates to around 1831 (obviously a copyright concern at 190 years old) so perhaps date from earlier than 1846, btw.)

No, it is his op. 38 - Sonate caratteristiche sopra la Creazione per grande orchestra (Milano, Luigi Scotti, 1846)...

MusFerd

Quote from: Alan Howe on Tuesday 16 March 2021, 22:23
Guten Abend Dr Gratl!

Will this fascinating composition by Cesare di Castelbarco be recorded for commercial release on CD?

Dear Alan, a recording for CD is included!

Alan Howe

eschiss1

Interesting . btw I see the characteristic sonatas for orchestra he had published  then have the same titles (characteristic sonatas on Haydn's Creation and 7 Last Words) as the earlier chamber opp.14 and 15 sets- I wonder if there's any relation between them, such as the obvious...

MusFerd

To be exact, Castelbarco's Sonatas are not directly based on Haydn's Creation. In the preface of the first edition of the "Seven Words of Christ on the Cross"-Sonatas he comments that he was inspired by Haydn's music, but all three cycles (Seven Words of God the Creator, God the Punitive, dedicated to the biblical Flood, and God the Redeemer, i. e. of Christ on the Cross) are based on poems of the composer, published as: Cesare di Castelbarco, SETTE PAROLE DI DIO CREATORE, PUNITORE, REDENTORE PARAFRASATE IN VERSI E POSTE IN MUSICA IN TRE OPERE DISTINTE [...], Milano, 1846.

I could not find direct Haydn quotations in the Sonatas "sopra la Creazione"....

Mark Thomas

Interesting. I'm no Haydn expert, but stylistically speaking I'd say the Haydn influence is very strong in this piece.