Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Mark Thomas

Another symphony from the estimable Emilie! Its movements are:

I. Adagio - Allegro con spirito
II. Marche Funèbre
III. Scherzo
IV. Allegro

... and many thanks to britishcomposer for the recording.

rosflute

Hah! I missed it, while I was waiting for Kiel to tell me the date of broadcast ! So thanks for posting this. (Its my orchestral set being used). And the good news is that there is a second performance due to take place by another orchestra later this year.

Alan Howe

Well done, Roz. It's important work that you've been doing.

rosflute

Thank you, Alan. Having just listened to the recording, I was interested to note that the important element in the last movement, the Triangle, seems not to be made to stand out (or, at least, I can't hear it!).

Alan Howe

I didn't notice it either. Can you give the time-point (on the recording) at which it should be audible?

Mark Thomas

It's another strong work by Mayer, especially the first two movements, but I couldn't detect a triangle either.

rosflute

The triangle makes its first appearance at 32.05 and then again at 32.46 [until 33.12] and thereafter at similar moments in the music.
With this answer, I have tried to add a photo of the relevant page in the score but, as  I failed, I suggest you visit the page on my website that already shows it with the triangle part.
https://www.trubcher.com/emilie-mayer-sinfonie-in-e-orchestra#gallery-1

thanks all for your interest, Roz.

Alan Howe

Now that you point it out, it's definitely there, but virtually inaudible - so it's a balance problem.

semloh

Triangle or not, it's a fine work. I especially like the nobility of the first movement. My belated thanks to britishcomposer.

Richard Moss

After a somewhat unintended delay, have just listened again to my download copy and appreciate britishcomposer's upload even more - many thanks.  Does anyone have the durations for each movement - I can't access the upload source file to check if the details are there as my PC says it has an 'incompatible SSL protocol' or some such message!!!

Thanks

Richard

Ilja

I chopped it up a while back and arrived at:

1. Adagio - allegro con spirito (14:29)
2. Marche funèbre (4:39)
3. Scherzo (4:18)
4. Allegro (14:02)

eschiss1

Does the Scherzo have a further indication, btw, in the score (e.g. Allegro, or somesuch)? Likewise the funeral march...

Richard Moss

Ilja,

Many tks for the timings info - much appreciated.

Richard

Double-A

The score (autograph) is available on the web site of the Staatsbibliotheik Berlin.

2nd movement:  Marcia funebre.  Andante maestoso
3rd movement:   Scherzo.  Allegro
4th movement:   Finale.  Allegro