News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Kaminski/Gould

Started by eschiss1, Saturday 25 February 2023, 16:06

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

A cpo CD expected in a few days has the fine Minguet Quartet in the 1912 (ca.) string quartet in F of Heinrich Kaminski (I know of one other recording) and in Glenn Gould's string quartet as well. (Apparently the whole CD was recorded in 2016-17, so hopefully the production values are high enough to explain the 6-year gap :) )

John Boyer

Quote from: eschiss1 on Saturday 25 February 2023, 16:06...hopefully the production values are high enough to explain the 6-year gap :) )
The Minguet is a first-class band, so we should have nothing to fear. And it will be nice to have another recording of the Gould. I have yet to really come to terms with it, but I enjoy its sprawling late romantic style. Somewhere in his writings he talks about the anger of one of his friends at the conclusion of the premiere. This was at the height of the serial period, so to hear a brand new work, expecting tone-rows and instead hearing triads, came to his friend as a brutal shock.  Gould describes the friend tersely telling him, "Not my kind of music," before storming away.

John Boyer

Just finished listening.  Not bad at all. Typical late-Romantic, chromaticism ala Reger stuff. 

eschiss1

Be told, I was expecting the work to produce that reaction here for the opposite reason, just given the date. (Agreed re the Minguet Quartet, of course- I continue to re-listen to their MDG recordings of Fuchs' quartets, for example.)