The legend of Sigismondo d'Indy

Started by eschiss1, Wednesday 09 February 2011, 19:14

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

A cautionary tale, or something.

Awhile back I noticed a whole lot of CDs on Amazon.com with music attributed to one "Sigismondo d'Indy". (Relative, thought I, of Vincent, of d'India, maybe a friend of Tristan Klingsor and of James McPherson too?) At a guess of course... somewhere along the line, whether at amazon or at another site, individuals asked to enter track data had gotten a lot wrong - very often.  With a lot of CDs.  I did put in a little effort and tried to fix a few of them - the music was music I knew, and could provide some evidence that etc., was (probably- I hadn't -seen- him write it...) written by Vincent d'Indy ... and I may even have suggested in comments that Sigismondo d'Indy sounded like a confusion of two names to me; I don't recall. For whatever reason, Amazon.com does have 2 CDs attributed to "Sigismondo d'Indy" now- but that's down from quite a few more earlier (and I only corrected a couple.) Other sites, though, on a websearch, have a lot of them, it seems. There's one old-and-new Lieutenant Kijé who's still alive, you could say, awaiting only a biography :(

alberto

Somebody miswrote the name of the madrigal composer Sigismondo d'India (roughly contemporary of Monteverdi and Gesualdo).

eschiss1

Quote from: alberto on Tuesday 22 February 2011, 11:35
Somebody miswrote the name of the madrigal composer Sigismondo d'India (roughly contemporary of Monteverdi and Gesualdo).
Actually, no, someone miswrote the name of the composer Vincent d'Indy and got him confused with Sigismondo d'India (or somesuch order as one likes... actually, you may be right as to the order there for relevance and my mistake), and then the error got propagated over a large number of pages on a large number of sites.