News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Emánuel Moór

Started by Alan Howe, Friday 21 October 2011, 16:57

Previous topic - Next topic

isokani

Apparently Casals rated Moor very highly, according to one of the former's last students, Rohan de Saram.

Aramiarz

They were very good friends, Casals recomended his works to Other important artists, for example the violin concert op 62 is dedicated to Thibaud! One interesting thing is that one cello sonate by Moor is dedicated to same cellist that Rachmaninov sonate! Other cello sonate is dedicated to the great cellist Piatti!

Aramiarz

Other situation, is that one piano concert And one piano sonate were dedicated to Marie Panthes,
Anyone remember anything about her?

eschiss1

I think he also knew Enesco - the violin/cello duo I'm looking at/retypesetting presently is dedicated to G. Enesco and André Hekking...

Panthes' (looks like that should be Panthès?) name I have seen... here is a biography - https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marie_Panth%C3%A8s (in German) - other things can be found on the web too...

Moór op23 sonata was pub. originally by Gutmann, not B&H, in 1890, and so cannot have been composed in 1891 (where could such dates come from?) - see http://www.hofmeister.rhul.ac.uk/2008/content/monatshefte/1890_03.html#hofm_1890_03_0108_04; and Op.21 was published by Schott, in 1889/90 (see HMB 1890, p.9.) Always possible that a Hungarian publisher not noticed by HMB got there first...

Then there's an Adagio Op.25 for violin and piano pub. 1894 (Schott) and a Barcarole Op.38 pub. in a lighter version in 1895 (Simrock)... (since Op.37 for solo piano was published in 1888, it's wholly possible that Op.38 was published in 1888 too...)

The date of Op.54 given is also wrong; HMB dates the publication of Opp.51-54 in 1900 -see HMB 1900, page 66. (Perhaps first published before then, but not first published later.)

Amphissa

Two more items to add to your list:

An LP by violinist Pierre d'Archambeau includes Moor's Four Preludes for Violin Solo, op. 100

The NY Philharmonic Cello Quartet issued an LP with Moor's Suite for Four Cellos, op. 95. (This has also been recorded on CD by Ponticello).

Aramiarz

Dear Erick, thank You very much for your research :D, And the correct writing of the Marie! I use one tablet And I don't know as write several names with the correct acent.

Dear Amphisa: thank You for your comment!

The triple concert by Moor is dedicated to Thibaud, Casals And Cortot, soon I will receive the score And If isn't thus, I will say You.

giles.enders

Moor lived with his second wife, Winifred Christie in Surrey, England, for a number of years and it was she who gave her collection of Moor's MS to Westminster Library