Emanuel Moór Cello and Double Cello Concertos from Hungaroton

Started by Sharkkb8, Thursday 24 April 2014, 11:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharkkb8

https://itunes.apple.com/au/album/emanuel-moor-cello-concertos/id854690154

For those of the iTunes download persuasion, there also appears to be this recording of the op. 69 double-cello concerto, as well as the single-cello concerto, op. 64.  The webpage lists the download at $16.99, but if one clicks the blue "show in iTunes" button and goes directly to iTunes, the price miraculously becomes $9.99.  In addition to the two concerti, there's a track identified as "Prelude for Cello & Orchestra in E major, op. 123", although (unless I missed it) I don't see that matching up to anything on Alan's previously posted list of compositions.   Downloading even as we speak.   ;)
Gregory

Mark Thomas

Thanks Sharkkb8 for the tip about downloading the Hungaroton performances of the Double Concerto, Concerto No.2 and the Prelude. First impressions are that, the lovely Prelude excepted, whilst memorable melody is clearly not Moór's strong suit, in all other respects these are are robust, impressive works, which receive fine, convincing performances. The cello(s) are balanced a little too far forward for concert verisimilitude, but that's pretty standard in concerto recordings and not a point against this one.

I'd certainly be interested in hearing more by Moór, even though I don't expect to be caught whistling anything by him.

Gareth Vaughan

Is the Hungaroton recording on i-tunes also available as a CD?

Alan Howe

Alan Howe

Gareth Vaughan

Thank you, Alan. The release date is given (in Hungarian) as January 2014 - so it should be out there! But it doesn't seem to be.

Alan Howe

The UK distributor for Hungaroton is Discovery Records, tel. 01380 728000.

Gareth Vaughan

Thanks, Alan. Discovery are in the dark about it, but are going to make enquiries and let me know.

Alan Howe

Great, Gareth. Thanks! I imagine it's a future release as far as the UK is concerned.

Gareth Vaughan

Just got the following reply from Discovery:

Hungaroton forgot to tell us about the Emanuel Moór: Csellóversenyek new release.  It's available now so we hope to have it in stock here within the next two weeks.
Kind regards,
Chris Smyth

Discovery Records Ltd.
Nursteed Road
Devizes  SN10 3DY

Alan Howe