Méhul Symphonies 3, 4 & 5 (Unfinished)

Started by Alan Howe, Wednesday 22 July 2015, 11:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

These important proto-romantic symphonies have just been released by Kapella 19:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00QWQQ7VW/ref=dm_cd_album_lnk

Alan Howe

My goodness, this is a fine disc. It's a HIP production, but it really works. The symphonies themselves are a true eye-opener as to what was happening beyond Beethoven in the early years of the 19th century. The template, I suppose, is Haydn, but Méhul pushes and prods it into something grander, more daring and closer to Beethoven.

This article about Symphony No.4 (from 1810 - i.e. written between Beethoven's 6th and 7th) says it all:
http://www.theguardian.com/music/2010/nov/08/etienne-mehul-lost-fourth-symphony

Gareth Vaughan

Does anyone know how these performances compare with those of the Orchestra of the Gulbenkian Foundation under Michel Swierczewski on Nimbus, released in 1992? That was a set of the "complete" symphones 1-4, together with some overtures. It did not, however, include the remaining movt. of the incomplete 5th symphony, recorded on this disk.

Mark Thomas

Thanks for the recommendation, Alan. I can only echo it. Méhul's last three symphonies, and particularly No.4 and the one extant movement of No.5, are muscular, vigorous music. Stylistically they are still more in touch with their late 18th century roots than are Beethoven's' contemporary symphonies, but they also clearly display a real romantic spirit. I was reminded of his fellow Parisian Anton Reicha's symphonies from the same era, but from what I remember of them they are "busier", and don't have quite the same individuality and power that Méhul demonstrates in all three of these works.

eschiss1

OK... now I'm confused. If symphony 4 was rediscovered and second-performed in 2010, what exactly was "symphony no.4" on the 1992 CD set? Will this new CD set be the world premiere recording of the real/complete/something 4th symphony?

Alan Howe

Wikipedia says this:
The Symphonies nos.3 and 4 were only rediscovered by Charlton in 1979. Interviewed 8 November 2010 on the on BBC Radio 4's Today programme, Professor Charlton said that Méhul's 4th Symphony was the first ever to employ the cyclical principle.

QuoteDoes anyone know how these performances compare with those of the Orchestra of the Gulbenkian Foundation under Michel Swierczewski on Nimbus, released in 1992?

I'll do some listening, Gareth.

Gareth Vaughan

I don't see the problem, Eric - or am I missing something? If Mr Charlton rediscovered the Symphony No. 4 in 1979, why shouldn't it have been performed and recorded in 1992? The Guardian article to which Alan provides a link above only says it took 31 years since its rediscovery for it to be performed in London.

eschiss1

Ah. I misread, sorry. I read it as saying that the 2010 performance was its 2nd ever, after its premiere performance(s).
(Was it definitely performed in London in the early 19th century?)

Alan Howe

To answer Gareth's question as to how the new CD compares with Swierczewski on Nimbus: it is vastly superior. The first thing one notices is the greater range of dynamics and the exciting way in which the brass roar through the orchestral texture. It makes the Nimbus seem very mild indeed. All we need now is Symphonies 1 and 2 from Kapella 19. In short, the new CD is an absolute 100% must-buy. It's thrilling in every way.

Gareth Vaughan

Thanks very much, Alan. That's very useful - and rather what I suspected might be the case.

eschiss1

Have always found the first symphony thrilling (on the radio- and especially its finale!...) even in the 1992 recording so I hope to hear this recording, and that it promises a new and excellent recording of his first two symphonies :)
Thanks!

Alan Howe

Having done some more listening, I must say that this CD is absolutely thrilling. I can't recommend it highly enough.

terry martyn

This is one of six CDs I am trying to collect,but I am foxed by the label´s website as it appears on Google. i simply cannot get into it,in order to order it. I am obviously being cackhanded, but I wondered whether any of you could help to correct my technological failings.

Alan Howe

There's an (expensive-ish) copy available here:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00QWQQ7VW/ref=dm_cd_album_lnk

Otherwise, I'd say the CD was deleted.

terry martyn

I saw that this morning,Alan, but they won´t deliver to Spain. I have in the past couple of months purchased both recorded Study Symphonies of Enescu,the (barely adequate) CD of Francetti´s,Vol 9 of Lumbye´s music (duplicating the delectable Dream Pictures I have on LP), that recently-mentioned Dutch Flute Concerto set,and all the recorded cello works of Nikolaus Kraft, so I was on a roll. But I will just have to wait in patience for those remaining six!