Reznicek - String Quartet in C minor

Started by BerlinExpat, Monday 03 April 2017, 15:11

Previous topic - Next topic

BerlinExpat

After the elsewhere mentioned Mascagni/Tasca opera double bill the "Special Recording" is a broadcast of Reznicek's string quartet in C minor. I assume this is the unnumbered quartet from 1880-1882 because in the printed version of the programme no number is assigned to the quartet. The #1 I have on Nimbus (NI 5506) is in C sharp minor.
I'd be grateful if someone could record it because I'll be in my Scottish retreat where mobile internet is far from reliable.

Deutschlandradio Kultur
Die besondere Aufnahme - 22 April 2017 at 22:30 (CET)

Emil Nikolaus von Reznicek
Streichquartett Nr. 1 c-Moll

Minguett Quartett:
Ulrich Isfort, Violine
Annette Reisinger, Violine
Aroa Sorin, Viola
Matthias Diener, Violoncello

Produktion: Deutschlandradio Kultur 2015

Mark Thomas

Unfortunately I can't record it either as I'll be away from home that weekend.

Wieland

If you have a look at the Minguet Quartet website you will find that obviously there is also a recording session for the cpo label taking place with the Reznicek quartet(s). So I think in the end we all will be able to listen to this piece.

30.1.-2.2.2017 Berlin Deutschland Radio Kultur
CD-Produktion cpo Reznicek

BerlinExpat

QuoteSo I think in the end we all will be able to listen to this piece.

In the end is right, but when? 1, 5 or 10 years?

eschiss1

Many of us can listen to this piece now. http://imslp.org/wiki/String_Quartet_in_C_minor_(Reznicek,_Emil_von)

(Thanks to user Matesic. Not as good as a good real recording, of course, but better, I say, than nothing at all.)

britishcomposer

As you may have noticed I have uploaded an older recording of the Reznicek quartet. The Minguet recording which was made in co-production with cpo took place in 2015. A talk with Michael Wittmann who is editing the quartets showed that the quartet was premiered on 17 December 1881.

CelesteCadenza

Emil Nikolaus Von Reznicek ‎– Five String Quartets (nrs 1-6, except nr 2! with the Minguet Quartett; recorded various times from Oct 2015 through May 2018) are now available on cpo ‎– 555 002-2: https://www.discogs.com/Emil-Nikolaus-Von-Reznicek-Minguet-Quartett-Five-String-Quartets/release/15175456

According to the cpo booklet "Reznicek himself did not number his string quartets or his symphonies. The conventional numbering of 1–4 in the older literature is attributed to Wilhelm Altmann, who introduced it in his Handbuch für Streichquartett-Spieler (Handbook for String Quartets), where he naturally only took into account works already in print at the time. Just as in the case of Dvorak's symphonies, this numbering is misleading, so in the meantime they have been replaced by new numbers. When taken chronologically, the following list results:

String Quartet in C minor 1881 (printed by E.W. Fritzsch in 1883) [former No. 1]
String Quartet in C-sharp minor 1905 (with alternate final movement) (printed by Editio Reznicek in 2013)
Quartet Fragment in C-sharp minor 1920 (three movements) (printed by Editio Reznicek in 2017)
String Quartet in C-sharp minor 1921 (printed by N. Simrock 1921) [former No. 2]
String Quartet in D minor 1921–22 (1st version with final movement Allegro alla Polacca) 1921 (printed by Editio Reznicek in 2013); 2nd Version 1922 (printed by R. Birnbach in 1923 [former No. 3])
String Quartet in E minor 1928–30 (1st version with original final movement 1928; 2nd version with new revised final movement 1930) (printed by Editio Reznicek in 2013)
String Quartet in B-flat major 1931 (printed by R. Birnbach 1932 [former No. 4])"

The booklet discusses Quartet nr 2, even though it doesn't appear on this 2 CD set.

semloh

Thanks for supplying all those details!
It's a pity that the booklet didn't include the G numbers, available in the list at:
https://imslp.org/wiki/List_of_works_by_Emil_von_Reznicek  I think that would just have dispelled any confusion.

eschiss1

Latest Records International also lists this.