Looking for female composers manuscripts

Started by ComposHer, Thursday 27 September 2018, 23:00

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

the main female Russian Romantic actually from that era (Leokadiya Kashperova, 1872-1940) who comes to mind offhand while she wrote a symphony, some piano music and 2 cello sonatas did not write any violin and strings music that I'm aware of offhand.

(Sorry, was speaking from ignorance and looking besides in the wrong Wikipedia category :) Also: Ekaterina Likoshin (fl.1810), Katerina Maier (also fl.1800) (seem to have mostly wrote piano pieces and in Maier's case also a piano concerto?), Nadezhda Rimskaya-Korsakova (1848-1919 - yes, best known as Rimsky-Korsakov's wife, but before her marriage composed a symphonic poem and a few other works that survive in manuscript; perhaps something should be looked up there), Valentina Serova (1846-1924, perhaps again best known for her marriage to Alexander Serov but again a composer, in her case mostly of 4 operas she composed after Serov's death), Yekaterina Sinyavina (d.1784 - apparently only keyboard works survive).)

Alan Howe

...which is why I flagged up Alla Pavlova's piece.

Gareth Vaughan

I have always been somewhat intrigued by the symphonic poem of Mrs Rimsky-Korsakov, but have made no serious attempt to find the whereabouts of the MS. Nevertheless, the title ("The Bewitched Place") is interesting. Something in the style of Liadov perhaps. Would like to find out.

khorovod

Quote from: Gareth Vaughan on Wednesday 31 October 2018, 23:43
I have always been somewhat intrigued by the symphonic poem of Mrs Rimsky-Korsakov, but have made no serious attempt to find the whereabouts of the MS. Nevertheless, the title ("The Bewitched Place") is interesting. Something in the style of Liadov perhaps. Would like to find out.

Yes, it's an intriguing prospect isn't it! But I think she really gave up composing after they married in 1872, according to wiki, completing the orchestration the year afterwards... So I think Liadov's style, which is the next generation as it were, would be too advanced. Perhaps an idiom more like Balakirev or Glinka or R-K himself, if keeping influences limited to Russians?

rosflute

Quote from: eschiss1 on Friday 05 October 2018, 17:19
Mayer's symphony no.2 is also available from Ries & Erler as of this year. Still, at least in some countries, the manuscript and work are public domain because of its premiere way back in 1847 March. (The relevant body of law is sometimes referred to, I believe, as editio princeps.)
Thank you very much for mentioning my work in connection with Emilie Mayer. However, The symphony that I have published and which was performed in Neubrandenburg in 2012 to celebrate Mayer's bicentenary, is not the symphony referred to above. I have, in fact, published the later symphony in E Major composed in 1853 and referred to as no.6.
A virtual extract is here https://soundcloud.com/rosflute/emilie-mayer-sinfonie-in-e-dur?in=rosflute/sets/virtually-unknown

Christopher

There a Berceuse for violin and piano by Ella Adayevskaya (1846-1926) - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ella_Adayevskaya - perhaps you could orchestrate it...!  It has been recorded once on a CD called Baltikum (Camerata Tallinn) - though the listing itself says it is an arrangement (I don't know of what...)

ComposHer

Thanks everyone. I suspected as much regarding russian composers of the romantic era. However I'm really happy you mentioned Alla Pavlova, because I did not know her and I think this piece could be a good piece if we can convince the orchestra that it's worth it to rent the parts.

Alan Howe

Gareth Vaughan

cypressdome

I just wanted to add one more name: Helen C. Crane.  Born in New York in 1868 she disappeared from the historical record after about 1930 and had definitely died by 1944.  Between 1898 and 1908 she had about a dozen works (piano pieces, songs, instrumental pieces) published in Germany and continued to compose up through the late 1920s.  The published Piano Trio from 1907 is at IMSLP.  A list of her works with opus is also there (afraid I never got around to listing all those without opus).  All of her surviving manuscripts are in the New York Public Library.  Included among those are a concert overture, 2 symphonic poems, a serenade for orchestra, 2 suites for orchestra, and 2 symphonies.