Hermann Graedener Violin Concertos 1 & 2

Started by Alan Howe, Saturday 01 June 2019, 12:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Savoir_Faire kindly reports:

The "in the pipeline" page on Toccata Classics' website now lists this recording, so hopefully in the next few months.

https://toccataclassics.com/pipeline/

Alan Howe

Here are the details of this intriguing release:

Hermann GRAEDENER: Orchestral Music, Volume One

Violin Concerto No. 1 in D major, Op. 22 (orch. Gottfried Rabl)
Violin Concerto No. 2 in D minor, Op. 41 (1905)
Karen Bentley Pollick, violin
National Symphony Orchestra of Ukraine
Gottfried Rabl, conductor
TOCC0528

Mark Thomas

What welcome news. I've said it before: we really are living through a golden age for unsung recordings.

Alan Howe

Alan Howe

matesic

It's good of Toccata Classics to allow us to hear the complete works before buying but among the 3 movements I've heard nothing made my ears prick up. And the quality of the violin-playing leaves quite a lot to be desired. A release chiefly of documentary value?

Alan Howe

HERMANN GRĂ„DENER Orchestral Music, Vol. 1: Violin Concertos
Karen Bentley Pollick, violin
National Symphony Orchestra of Ukraine
Gottfried Rabl, conductor
Violin Concerto No. 1 in D major, Op. 22 (1890) 36:24
1. Allegro moderato (19:36)
2. Larghetto (8:02)
3. Finale: Allegro non tanto (8:46)
Violin Concerto No. 2 in D minor, Op. 41 (1905) 38:06
1. Allegro non troppo (19:19)
2. Andante  (8:49)
3. Finale: Rondo capriccioso (9:58)

Alan Howe

QuoteAnd the quality of the violin-playing leaves quite a lot to be desired

Really? I must have been listening to another recording altogether!

The music is resolutely post-Brahmsian (or perhaps sub-Brahmsian), so it depends whether one likes the idiom, I suppose. I do!

Sharkkb8

Toccata's Twitter feed today announces Nov 1 as release date, along with Fritz Hart album and (previously mentioned) Espadero piano music.

https://twitter.com/ToccataMusicGrp/status/1181209393003728901

FBerwald

What beautiful music. Can't wait for the Piano and Cello Concertos of Hermann Graedener.

Hyperion has missed another opportunity (wonder who's incharge of the Romantic Violin and Cello Concerto series!) and are they listening!!?

Kevin

QuoteHyperion...Romantic Violin and Cello Concerto series

That's the biggest waste of time I've ever encountered. I agree such a missed opportunity.

Alan Howe

QuoteThat's the biggest waste of time I've ever encountered

Well, here's the thing: there just aren't as many violinists or cellists as pianists out there, let alone violinists or cellists willing to explore unsung repertoire. If you consult the liner notes of this new release, you'll find that Karen Bentley Pollick has a history - with conductor Gottfried Rabl - of exploring forgotten scores, which makes her pretty unusual. So, don't blame Hyperion; instead encourage more soloists to follow Karen BP's example!

Kevin

QuoteWell, here's the thing: there just aren't as many violinists or cellists as pianists out there, let alone violinists or cellists willing to explore unsung repertoire. If you consult the liner notes of this new release, you'll find that Karen Bentley Pollick has a history - with conductor Gottfried Rabl - of exploring forgotten scores, which makes her pretty unusual. So, don't blame Hyperion; instead encourage more soloists to follow Karen BP's example!

Maybe you are right. I should learn not to jump to conclusions.

Alan Howe

I understand your frustration with Hyperion's RVC and RCC series, though!

Mark Thomas

My word, there's some lovely music here. Another winner IMHO.