News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Unsung orchestras?

Started by Alan Howe, Saturday 13 November 2010, 20:32

Previous topic - Next topic

khorovod

I don't know if they are considered Unsung or not, maybe so outside Germany (?) but the Staatsphilharmonie Rheinland-Pfalz have a good tradition of recording unsung music and I think are of a very good standard. I think Marco Polo used them back in the day too (which is where I knew them from originally maybe and some recordings of Florent Schmitt on a French label) before cpo became a bigger player in the record industry.

eschiss1

Moeran symphony in G minor (finished 1937) played by the Shrewsbury Symphony Orchestra? (a 2001 private recording, not a commercial one, but available for download on the Moeran website here.)

eschiss1

Quote from: khorovod on Monday 15 November 2010, 18:11
I don't know if they are considered Unsung or not, maybe so outside Germany (?) but the Staatsphilharmonie Rheinland-Pfalz have a good tradition of recording unsung music and I think are of a very good standard. I think Marco Polo used them back in the day too (which is where I knew them from originally maybe and some recordings of Florent Schmitt on a French label) before cpo became a bigger player in the record industry.
And not sure if you meant to imply this, but in turn cpo employs them extensively now (have heard quite a few of their recordings for that label - Wetz 2, Wetz violin concerto, Saygun 4, several Röntgen symphonies, to restrict to those I'm fairly sure I've heard at some point :) out of a fairly large number of recordings...).

Delicious Manager

Quote from: chill319 on Monday 15 November 2010, 05:14
The Bucharest Philharmonic Orchestra plays splendidly for Christian Mandeal in Enescu's Symphony 3. One would hope they would, of course, but they greatly exceeded my expectations.

I wonder why one would be surprised that the large capital city of a country with one of the finest traditions of string playing in Europe (care of that wonderful Mr Enescu) might have a very good orchestra? I do agree, though - the whole of the Mandeal Enescu series is a joy.

One orchestra which has staggered me in recent years, thanks to its superlative recordings on Naxos is the Weimar Staatskapelle - surely an orchestral ensemble as good as any in central Europe. Their recording with Polish conductor Antoni Wit of Richard Strauss's Eine Alpensinfonie was given the accolade of benchmark recording of this work by some reviewers when it was released.

Delicious Manager

Another orchestra which is simply astounding in its musical and technical skill is the Ostrobothnian Chamber Orchestra from Kokkola in central Finland. As far as chamber orchestras go, they can play the socks off ANY other similar orchestra in the world.

JimL

I don't know if it's unsung or not, but I wouldn't trade the work of the Swedish Chamber Orchestra on the Reinecke Flute and Harp Concertos on Naxos for that of any other in the world, chamber or not.