John St. Anthony Johnson (?1874-?)

Started by Jimfin, Monday 07 November 2011, 02:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimfin

Does anyone know anything of this composer? I know he won the 1928 Schubert centenary prize for his 'Pax Vobiscum' (beating Holbrooke's lovely 4th Symphony), and he was mentioned in a concert in around 1911, but that's about it. 'Pax Vobiscum' was released on a Dutton Historical, and is a pleasant little piece.

eschiss1

The first prize in the English division was divided between his work and something by Frank Merrick, I gather?, and second prize went to Havergal Brian's Gothic - Holbrooke's 4th may have been 3rd? perhaps  - or am I misunderstanding?- will try to find out more about him though. Other works include "Autumn: A Dirge" pub. ca. 1896. Worldcat lists under his name primarily anthems and cantatas...

eschiss1

I now see mentioned a recording (ah, I see it on allmusic.com - a Dutton CD) of Pax Vobiscum conducted by Stanford Robinson (1904-84). Thumbs-up to him (posthumously) for a number of reasons (premieres of works by Cyril Scott and I think Havergal Brian also possibly...)

Jimfin

You're quite right about the Schubert prize, Brian got second prize. Not actually sure whether the Holbrooke was placed at all: he was seriously out of fashion by then, though it seems a far more apprpriate winner of a competition to honour Schubert than the other works, which seem to have no relation to the Austrian. Thanks for the information on Johnson!

Dundonnell

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1928_International_Columbia_Graphophone_Competition

The rules for entry to the competition were repeatedly changed to the point where the connection with Schubert had effectively disappeared.

albion

Quote from: eschiss1 on Monday 07 November 2011, 02:59The first prize in the English division was divided between [Johnson's] work and something by Frank Merrick, I gather?

Both prize-winning works were recorded by the RPO under Stanford Robinson on Columbia -

John St.Anthony Johnson - Pax Vobiscum
Columbia 9564
Matrices WAX 4178-2, 4179-2 (10438, 10435)
Recorded 20th October 1928
Available from January 1929 to March 1935

Frank Merrick - Two Movements in Symphonic Form (A completion of Schubert's Unfinished Symphony)
1. Scherzo (2 sides)
2. Poco Allegro (2 sides)
Columbia 9562-3
Matrices WAX 4180-2, 4181-1, 4249-1, 4250-3 (10437, 10436, 10575, 10574)
Recorded 20th October 1928 (sides 1,2), 3rd November 1928 (sides 3,4)
Available from January 1929 to March 1942

As Eric noted, the Johnson has been transferred to CD -

Dutton CDBP 9766

but, as far as I'm aware, Merrick's completion has not.

:)

eschiss1

Hrm. I think the Frank Merrick Society may have reissued the Merrick ca.1966, judging from a Gramophone review that's online, but no, doesn't seem to be currently available.
Can't seem to find much information about John St. Anthony Johnson's music and nothing about his life. (His name reminded me that I had just found out what Krtitel in Kalliwoda and Vanhal's names means - it means the Baptist, or something near, according to my translator. correction - John would be supplied by their first name :) . Also, not sure if Robinson was conducting the Merrick also- the review has Trevor Harvey conducting the St Cecilia Orchestra (Merrick Society Q FMS 15, O FMS 14?. Maybe a new recording at the time of limited release?..)

Jimfin

I'd love to hear that Merrick! Yes, a most peculiar name!

Gareth Vaughan

Taking a little diversion off topic (apologies) members might like to know that the MS score and parts of Frank Merrick's extant orchestral music are held in the special collections archive of the University of Bristol. This includes the Two Movts referred to above + a Symphony and the 2 PCs.