Maurice Blower Symphony in C

Started by Marcus, Monday 08 March 2010, 10:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcus

I recently received a copy of an interesting Cd containing the Symphony in C by Maurice Blower (1894-1982), and the Tone Poem for Orchestra,Lamia by Dorothy Howell(1898-1982). (Cameo Classics CC9037CD)
The symphony written in a late/neo romantic idiom is a real find, and the Howell tone poem is of the quality one would expect from her, after the release  on Dutton of her Sonatas, Studies & piano pieces. I will leave further comment for others, except to say that this is a recording worth having. I am hoping that the Piano Concerto & other orchestral works will one day make the catalogue.
The booklet notes are provided by  Gareth Vaughan & Peter Craddock. Gareth may care to comment further?
Marcus.

Gareth Vaughan

Gareth would. On 11th November this year, Valentina Seferinova will play Dorothy Howell's piano concerto with the Orion orchestra, under Toby Purser, in a concert at The Cadogan Hall in aid of the St Lazarus Charitable Trust, which raises money for the treatment and rehabilitation of leprosy sufferers.
The other items in the concert are: Vaughan Williams' Overture "The Wasps" and Five Variants of "Dives and Lazarus"; Josef Holbrooke's Variations on "The Girl I Left Behind Me"; Lilian Elkington's "Out of the Mist" (a stunning piece of music and the only orchestral composition of hers to have survived); and Elgar's "In the South".
Cameo Classics are planning to record this concert.
The Orion Orchestra are a superb band of young professionals, straight out of music college and their conductor is quite brilliant.
I'm so glad you enjoyed "Lamia" (a truly gorgeous piece), and Maurice Blower's distinguished symphony. The Holbrooke is great fun too, but I'm afraid the orchestra, not being English, missed a lot of the jokes!

Marcus

Bravo Gareth - can't wait to hear the Howell PC.
Thanks,
Marcus.

Alan Howe

I've got to say that this is one of Cameo's best releases - if not the best. The Symphony in C by Maurice Blower is a gorgeous, tonal, Romantic score of impressive proportions, well performed here by Marius Stravinsky and the Karelia Philharmonic Orchestra. Unlike the bands in some other Cameo releases, the string section of this orchestra sounds well nourished and the generous acoustic gives room for this colourful music to expand impressively. The sleevenotes are also full and informative. Overall, a thoroughly worthwhile issue.

Jimfin

Yes, actually I received all three of the Cameo "British Premieres" CDs together recently, but I think the Blower symphony is possibly my favourite, though the Kelly Serenade comes in close. So sad that Blower never heard this work performed, and how many other works like this are sitting in an attic waiting to be heard?

Gareth Vaughan

Well, I understand that Maurice Blower also wrote a Concertino for bassoon and orchestra. Cameo may even have the score already - I couldn't possibly comment.