2x Rozycki from Acte Prèalable

Started by M. Henriksen, Monday 11 April 2011, 11:36

Previous topic - Next topic

M. Henriksen

Now these upcoming releases are very welcome! Acte Prèalable have announced future releases of two discs containing music of Polish composer Ludomir Rozycki.

The first containing his Piano Concerto no. 1 and his Ballade for Piano and Orchestra:
http://www.acteprealable.com/albums/soon_ap0217.html
These recordings seem to have been made  the mid 1980's and early 1990's.

The second is a recording of his Violin Concerto and several smaller works for violin and piano:
http://www.acteprealable.com/albums/soon_ap0219.html

My first reaction looking at these discs is that they could have been more generously filled with more music, since both discs have a total duration under 50 minutes. Anyway, I should be wise enough not to complain.

I don't have the release dates yet.

In addition, this exciting label have future releases of chamber music by Noskowski, Stojowski and Zelenski! Have a look:
http://www.acteprealable.com/coming_soon.html

Morten

thalbergmad

This is excellent news, but I would be considerably more excited if they were new recordings.

Thal

M. Henriksen

Very true. The Violin Concerto is recorded in 2001 or 2010, but the recordings of the Piano Concerto and the Ballade are quite much older. I wouldn't be surprised if the same label will release a new recording of the 2nd Piano Concerto as well, as it has been mentioned on the Rozycki-topic.

Morten

Gareth Vaughan

The recording of the Ballade Op. 18 for piano and orchestra is the same as that on the old Olympia disk, which dates from the early 1960's. The recording is serviceable. However, the score and parts for this piece, which was re-orchestrated for the recording have disappeared. So now, even the re-orchestrated version is lost. I have made extensive enquiries in Poland and all have drawn a blank. The Radio station does not have it, nor the orchestra, nor the pianist, nor the daughter of the orchestrator - nor any library, it would seem. So this is all we have - unless someone transcribes it from the recording.
I expect the recording of PC 1 dates from around the same time.

Alan Howe

Thanks for all this info, Gareth. Some terrific stuff here...

Mark Thomas

Are these the same recordings which are broadcast from time to time on Polskie Radio Dwojka?

eschiss1

it's very unfortunate that so much of their (quite fine from what I've heard) music has been in the out-of-print bins and often not touched by conductors for 40-odd years if memory is serving me - one can think of a reissue sequence as a needed good start?

pianoconcerto

Quote from: Gareth Vaughan on Monday 11 April 2011, 14:28
The recording of the Ballade Op. 18 for piano and orchestra is the same as that on the old Olympia disk, which dates from the early 1960's. The recording is serviceable. However, the score and parts for this piece, which was re-orchestrated for the recording have disappeared. So now, even the re-orchestrated version is lost. I have made extensive enquiries in Poland and all have drawn a blank. The Radio station does not have it, nor the orchestra, nor the pianist, nor the daughter of the orchestrator - nor any library, it would seem. So this is all we have - unless someone transcribes it from the recording.
I expect the recording of PC 1 dates from around the same time.

Are you sure this is the same recording?  My Olympia CD lists the following performers:

+Olympia 306 [Muza 196]:  Barbara Hesse-Bukowska/Polish Radio Nat. SO/Jan Krenz

Acte Prealable CD 217 lists other performers:

Makowska-Ławrynowicz Krystyna, piano/Polish Radio & TV Orchestra in Cracow/Kawalla Szymon or
Straszyński Andrzej, conductor (I don't know who conducts the Ballade and who Piano Concerto 1)

The website says the recordings of the works date from 1984/1990.

Gareth Vaughan

Thank you for this information, which is indeed correct. Mine came from a Polish source close to Acte Prealable, but would appear to be incorrect. I accepted it at face value but, having checked my copy of the Olympia disk, there is no doubt that the performers on the two disks are different. Does this mean that the orchestral version of the Ballade is still in existence, however? If the Acte Prealable recordings from Polish Radio, Cracow, date from 1984 or 1990 the Ballade could easily have disappeared since that time, of course. But it would be nice to learn that it had not and that my researches have just, to date, produced the "wrong" answer. On the other hand, it might be that someone else has gone to the trouble of orchestrating Rozycki's Ballade, though I think this is unlikely. I will make a direcrt enquiry of Acte Prealable and see what I can find out.