Fauré - Concertante works on Timpani

Started by febnyc, Thursday 09 July 2009, 01:21

Previous topic - Next topic

febnyc

The recent Timpani (1172) release of a batch of concertante works by Fauré (some pieces orchestrated later by the composer, or by others) is an exquisite disc.

The bookends of the CD are Fauré's Ballade for Piano & Orchestra Op.19 (a lovely, lyrical, singing delight) and his Fantaisie for Piano & Orchestra Op.111 (similarly engaging).  The works on the recording are in chronological order of their composition.  Included is a one-movement (the rest of it lost?) Violin Concerto Op.14, rarely heard.

This lovely music raises Fauré above the "saloniste" label with which he often is burdened.  A 5-star CD from Timpani, throughout.

JimL

The Ballade has the reputation among pianists as being one of the most challenging works in the repertoire - right alongside the Henselt Concerto and Richard Strauss' Burleske for Piano and Orchestra.

Alan Howe

A five-star programme indeed - but unfortunately not a five-star orchestra, which is pretty anaemic-sounding. So, for me about three-and-a-half stars  :(

febnyc

Gee, sorry you found the orchestral forces wanting.  For me, considering this music is not Mahler, nor Bruckner, they proved more than adequate.  Your dose of cold water won't change my opinion of a beautifully-presented CD.   8)

Alan Howe

I bought the CD expecting first-class orchestral support. Instead, their contribution is distinctly underwhelming. The soloists are good, though.

The door's still open for a better CD gathering together these lovely works.

febnyc

What a shame that such a lush CD doesn't reach your level of commendation.  But, horses for courses, I guess.  As a matter of fact, I listened again today to this excellent recording and I was taken by the richness of the sound and accompaniment, inter alia especially in the Romance for Cello & Orchestra.  Beautifully done.

Alan Howe

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree. To my ears the orchestra is anaemic and the sound lacks impact. Enough said on this particular exchange, perhaps?

febnyc

Aye, aye, Sir.  No need to continue...and, anyway, your impressively-arrayed five stars outrank me big time.  Who am I to disobey?    :P

JimL

I think it's the blueness of the stars that's more impressive, don't you?  ::) ;D

febnyc

Precisely!  As an old Navy vet - the blue stars singularly are what dazzled me and convinced me to cry "Uncle" as far as this subject is concerned.  :-\

(But the five of them are just the right amount - any more and the bling would remind me of a Turkish Admiral.)

JimL

Whaddya know!  My old man was in the Navy!  Radioman in Guam during the Korean War, if I'm not mistaken.  He told me that Navy is an acronym for:

Never
Again
Volunteer
Yourself.

;D

febnyc

I'm not quite of the Korean War generation - about 10 years too young for that.  But bully for your Dad!

And as for volunteering, I did once and it got me a great job which I held aboard ship for two years - while cruising the Caribbean and the Mediterranean.  A fully-paid holiday, compliments of my Uncle Sam.

(I fear we should end this off-topic-ism - before the five-blue-star CNO descends.  8))

Alan Howe