Concertos for Unsung Instruments

Started by saxtromba, Tuesday 10 May 2011, 16:15

Previous topic - Next topic

saxtromba

I was listening to one of Johann Georg Albrechtsberger's concerti for Jew's Harp, Mandora, and Orchestra (no, really-- http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/Drilldown?name_id1=127441&name_role1=1&bcorder=1&comp_id=5490 ; I believe he wrote seven, of which two have been recorded), and started to wonder what other, shall we say, unusual instruments have had genuine concerti written for them.  There are several -- well, at least a few-- harmonica concerti, accordion concerti, and even theremin concerti.  But how about really atypical solo instruments?  I do mean serious concerti, not gag pieces or new-agey slush such as pan pipe 'concerti'.  Any suggestions? 

alberto

Even an attempt of reply by me is difficult.
If we consider the "Ondes Martenot" an unsung instrument, we have at least Jolivet and Landowsky (and Messiaen Turangalila Symphony has a very prominent O.M. part).
Balalaika: Tubin.
Bandoneon: Piazzolla, Richard Galliano.
Bayan: Gubaidulina "In cruce".
(But we have to consider the three above as different from the accordion).
Sitar: two concertos by Ravi Shankar (more than a little "new-agey". They were recorded by Shankar with Mehta and Previn).
Alphorn: Leopold Mozart, Ferenc Farkas, Jean Daetwyler.
Glass harmonica: Anton Reicha, Johan Gottlieb Naumann.
Lira organizzata: F.H.Haydn.
Mandolin: several Vivaldi, Calace.

alberto

eschiss1

Kurek- concertino for celesta and orchestra ("Fairy Dreams", premiered 2009)?

kdjupdal

Interesting topic!

I listened to Albrechtsberger, and that sounded really nice with the Jew´s harp.
Who wrote a Theremin Concerto?

thalbergmad

Quote from: alberto on Tuesday 10 May 2011, 16:59
Banjo: Harri Reser.

Excellent, thanks for this. I am completely banjo crazy.

From the pic that came up on a google search, it looks like he is using a plectrum banjo and not a tenor.

Further investigation required.

Thal

kdjupdal

Some examples by contemporary composers:

- Concerto for the Chinese zither "Guzheng" and orchestra, by Simon Steen-Andersen.
- Olav Anton Thommessen. Concerto for synthesizer and orchestra (1986). (I am sure there are more concerti for synth)
- Lasse Thoresen: Concerto for hardanger fiddle, nyckelharpa and orchestra. The norwegian and swedish folk instruments.

alberto

Sorry. In reply 1, in the line under "Bayan", I meant "we have to consider the TWO above". Of course a balalaika has nothing to do with accordions (and I have the BIS CD of Tubin balalaika concerto).
As for Harry Reser "Suite for Banjo and Orchestra", I have listened it in the CD "Jazz nocturne" (Naxos 8.559647).
By the way "Jazz Nocturne" is to me a very entertaining record, with fine contributions from James P. Johnson and the unknown to me Dana Suesse.

TerraEpon

Quote from: alberto on Tuesday 10 May 2011, 20:04
By the way "Jazz Nocturne" is to me a very entertaining record, with fine contributions from James P. Johnson and the unknown to me Dana Suesse.

Except the sound quality is horrid for some reason.

jimmattt

Jan Bach Cto for Steel pan; Morton Gould Cto for Tapdancer and orchestra, Ferenc Farkas Alphorn cto, Ned McGowan, Bantammer Swing for Bass Flute and Orchestra; Martijn Padding, Harmonium cto; Hajid Khamammadov, Cto for Tar and orchestra; Ricardo Lorenz, Concerto for Maracas and Orch.
and many interesting double concertos, couldn't even begin to list.

alberto

Some more mentions from my record collection.
Solo percussion and small orchestra: Milhaud (also attended once in performance)
Rodney Bennett
Also Berthold Hummel (living composer, performance attended once)
Marimba: Rosauro, Miyoshi
Mandolin: Caudioso, Giuliano, Eterardi, Gabellone (all Neapolitans of the XVII century)
Between the "multiple" concertos I would mention just the unlikely combination of:
Leopold Kozeluch Symphonie Concertante for mandolin, trumpet, piano, double-bass and strings (a piece lasting more than 32') 

saxtromba

Thanks for all the interesting mentions (though I already knew some of them, there were many I'd never heard of).

Quote from: kdjupdal on Tuesday 10 May 2011, 18:25
I listened to Albrechtsberger, and that sounded really nice with the Jew´s harp.
Who wrote a Theremin Concerto?
Anis Fuleihan.  The recording, with Stokowski conducting the NY Philharmonic, is currently available only on a weird compilation disk: http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/Drilldown?name_id1=4087&name_role1=1&bcorder=1&comp_id=88124 .  There is also a more modern concerto, entitled 'Seahorse,', by Elizabeth Brown, which was premiered in 2008.  I'm sure there are others, though none comes to mind immediately.

eschiss1

have to get into doing-stuff mode...erf, sorry, language... - but a quick search reveals, at least and not too surprisingly, more bayan concertos I think (by Podgaits, written for Lips; Podgaits also wrote a concerto for mandolin or balalaika, published 2005 as against 2006 for the former) (Efrem Podgaits born 1949, I think - bio - bio lists 23 concertos so probably the same, yes. was searching Worldcat for the one match and google for the other, but they do seem to be the same person. anyhow. more later. :) )

TerraEpon

There's also a concerto for /jazz/ percussion and orchestra by Harold Farberman. It's a great piece actually. Very 'fun'.

Revilod

There are those two wonderful Hardangar Fiddle concertos by Geirr Tveitt.
I also have a disc of a Hurdy-Gurdy Concerto by Corrette...a surprisingly good piece.