News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Eduard Franck 1817-1893

Started by giles.enders, Tuesday 31 May 2011, 10:32

Previous topic - Next topic

giles.enders

I am tempted to purchase the two symphonies and two violin concertos by Eduard Franck which have been released on the Audite label.  Does anyone have these.  Critical comments would be helpful

Mark Thomas

Enjoyable but not exciting Mendelssohnian music. His pieces are never over-long for their material and are melodically memorable but harmonically, structurally and in terms of their orchestration they are pretty conventional for their time.

Alan Howe

Conventional stuff, as Mark says, although I think the Symphony in A major, with its opening high-lying horn writing is something rather special, I must say. And EF can always conjure up a good tune. Go for them before they disappear!

eschiss1

Hrm..
I have heard one movement from one work of his- the scherzo from his E-flat major string quartet (from one of those CDs), broadcast on a Belgian radio station (then taped inexpertly by me for re-listening so I haven't even been hearing all of that movement.) But I've been enjoying it very much each time- not original, but witty, well-done, and welcome (in mood, instrumental treatment, etc.)  (If you had more time, Radio Stephansdom - www.radiostephansdom.at , a good station which webstreams - out of Austria does, though I haven't caught this yet, broadcast some of his symphonies once in awhile.)

dafrieze

I find his symphonies quite lovely, actually - pretty mainstream for their time, nothing life-changing, but cleanly orchestrated and tuneful.  Much preferable, in my view, to the gaseous orchestral ponderosities of his namesake Cesar.

Alan Howe

I have a soft spot for old César, but realise that he's not to everyone's taste. Actually I've been listening to EF's A major Symphony, Op.47 and must admit that it is rather a nice piece with some quite lovely writing and occasionally an almost Brahmsian generosity of expression. Original? Not really. Worthy of revival? Definitely! And the performance by the Saarbrücken Radio SO is very fine indeed; add to that a spacious recording and it's a recipe for a great CD.

Gareth Vaughan

There are also 2 PCs which I hope someone will record before long (the second in MS). I have score and parts of No. 1 and a photocopy of the MS of No. 2, all of which I have copied to Mike Spring. Fingers crossed.

eschiss1

well, if César Franck has to enter this discussion (and maybe he must), my favorite work of his has always been the string quartet in D (sometimes reviewed with many of the same adjectives, it's true), not the symphony... I'm intrigued by those (Eduard) Franck piano concertos; best with that!

FBerwald

I actually found his E minor violin concerto very beautiful ... Yes the affinity to Mendelssohn is there but I think its unfair to compare every  E minor concerto to Mendelssohn.
Other than the two violin concertos what other concertos has he written any other concertos?

eschiss1

the only three published concertos I know of (HMB, Wikipedia) are the violin concertos and the opus 13 for piano and orchestra ( in D minor , pub 1850)- and earlier in the thread a 2nd pf. concerto in MS has been mentioned.

giles.enders

The Audite label seem to be issuing quite a number of cd's of music by both Eduard and his son Richard 1858-1938.  No sign of any piano concertos, Gareth, perhaps this is where you might send your scores.

While we are on the subject of Franks, there has been no mention of Cesare's brother Joseph!

Gareth Vaughan

When I contacted Audite a few years back when these recordings started to appear they couldn't even be bothered to reply to my letter about the piano concertos.

giles.enders

Shame about that, it is just damn bad manners on Audite's part.

eschiss1

they are from the Audite recordings btw but sound samples of some of his chamber works can be found at editionsilvertrust.com - e.g. 2nd string quartet (MS, Eflat, ca.1870)

Gareth Vaughan

Well, here's some interesting news. I've just heard a rumour that James Tocco is about to record the 2 Franck PCs (don't know the orchestra, or the label, but given that he recorded the Violin Sonatas with Christiane Edinger for Audite I wouldn't expect it to be a different one). Let us await developments.