Somervell Symphonic Variations

Started by giles.enders, Wednesday 01 June 2011, 17:40

Previous topic - Next topic

giles.enders

For any one who would like a taster of Somervell's Symphonic Variations, it is to be broadcast on BBC radio 3 on Tuesday 7th June 2.30pm.

albion

This broadcast of the soon-to-be-released recording is still available through the BBC iplayer and is well worth a listen -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b011ppgw/Afternoon_on_3_BBC_Scottish_Symphony_Orchestra_Episode_2/

Good old Katie Derham and the meticulous researchers who feed her the material - so the 1913 premiere was given by Douglas Tovey, eh?  ::)

Incidentally, the booklet notes for this great new release can now be viewed on the Hyperion site - http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/al.asp?al=CDA67837 (View sleeve notes/artwork), oh and, by the way, don't forget that Somervell's Highland Concerto gets an airing this coming Friday afternoon.  ;D

Gareth Vaughan

Most of the researchers at the BBC are not out of romper suits. They are pitifully ignorant when it comes to British music - though if Kate Derham had any brains she'd have questioned the name "Douglas" Tovey. Perhaps, of course, she's never heard of Donald Tovey, nor read his masterful essay on Somervell's Variations.

Mark Thomas

What an enjoyable piece. Shades of Rachmaninov in places, or is it just me?

JimL

Quote from: Gareth Vaughan on Wednesday 08 June 2011, 18:50
Most of the researchers at the BBC are not out of romper suits. They are pitifully ignorant when it comes to British music - though if Kate Derham had any brains she'd have questioned the name "Douglas" Tovey. Perhaps, of course, she's never heard of Donald Tovey, nor read his masterful essay on Somervell's Variations.
Could have just been a brain-fart.  Haven't you ever had one of those moments where you can't recall something (usually a person's name) you've known for a long time for the life of you?  And you finally end up guessing the wrong thing?

Gareth Vaughan

Agreed, Jim. I don't want to appear uncharitable. It's just that experience has led me to be bitterly cynical about the BBC - and I'm afraid I hear far too many "brain farts" from presenters on BBC Radios 3 & 4 these days: so many, in fact, that I am led to the conclusion that they are the result of ignorance rather than inadvetent carelessness (e.g. "a criteria" is one piece of linguistic nonsense that crops up regularly; it keeps company with "a phenomena"!).

giles.enders

I do agree with Gareth, I recall a presenter implying he had researched a piece by Saint-Saens and I happened to have the booklet notes infront of me, of the piece to be played.  He read it word for word.  On Classic FM a presenter talked about Stravinsky's ' deeply held Jewish faith influencing his music' !!!   I feel that the BBC has been letting down classical music since the days of that dreadful dictator William Glock, Some of the audience figures were so low tha the BBC refused to publish them.  The BBC has an attitude of, we are not goint to play what people would like or might be reasonably be interested in, but give them what we think they should have.  Where is there any original research on Radio 3

Lionel Harrsion

Quote from: Gareth Vaughan on Thursday 09 June 2011, 09:40
Agreed, Jim. I don't want to appear uncharitable. It's just that experience has led me to be bitterly cynical about the BBC - and I'm afraid I hear far too many "brain farts" from presenters on BBC Radios 3 & 4 these days: so many, in fact, that I am led to the conclusion that they are the result of ignorance rather than inadvetent carelessness (e.g. "a criteria" is one piece of linguistic nonsense that crops up regularly; it keeps company with "a phenomena"!).

...not to mention the bizarre habit of putting an emphasis on prepositions - "We are now going live TO the House of Commons..."  BBC announcers speaking like this leads me to conclude that the country really is going to the blooming bow-wows.   

dafrieze

I suppose it's all a matter of what you're used to.  As an American (and one living in Boston, one of the few places in the world, apparently, with TWO radio stations that play classical music), all I can say is that BBC Radio 3 is a comparative treasure. 

Gareth Vaughan

It's also that so many of the presenters are intellectual lightweights. They talk like a Sunday colour supplement - vapid, trite and trivial.

albion

Quote from: Gareth Vaughan on Thursday 09 June 2011, 09:40It's just that experience has led me to be bitterly cynical about the BBC - and I'm afraid I hear far too many "brain farts" from presenters on BBC Radios 3 & 4 these days

I agree that there is absolutely no excuse for any presenter on Radio 3 clearly not to have ever heard of Donald Tovey.

Grabbing so-called 'celebrities' (remember Paul Gambaccini?) and propping them up to 'front' classical music with inadequate research notes is just plain shoddy.   >:(

Let's see what pearls of wisdom drop before the swine tomorrow!  :o

Lionel Harrsion

Quote from: Gareth Vaughan on Thursday 09 June 2011, 18:16
It's also that so many of the presenters are intellectual lightweights. They talk like a Sunday colour supplement - vapid, trite and trivial.
Gareth, that's putting it kindly.  It's good to know I'm not the only one to grimace and fulminate.

JimL

Quote from: Lionel Harrsion on Thursday 09 June 2011, 11:33...not to mention the bizarre habit of putting an emphasis on prepositions - "We are now going live TO the House of Commons..."  BBC announcers speaking like this leads me to conclude that the country really is going to the blooming bow-wows.
I wonder if that's like some pro football players here in the States who played their college ball in Columbus introducing themselves during the starting lineup as alumni of "THE Ohio State University"?