British Music

Started by Pengelli, Monday 03 January 2011, 16:29

Previous topic - Next topic

britishcomposer

Oh, I am sorry! I just tried to open it myself and it worked quite well. Perhaps the download process has been irritated somehow?
I will wait if others have the same problem, then create a new zip-file and upload it again.

Dundonnell

Sorry to be a nuisance!

I open all the Zip Files I download using Windows Explorer. The McCabe Cello Concerto-opened with no problem, van Gilse's 4th Symphony just this moment-no problem. I have downloaded the Stevenson three times but get the same message each time. This is the first time that I have a a problem with a Zip File.

:(

britishcomposer

You are right, I downloaded it myself and it couldn't be opened. Am just about uploading a new file. Please, would you tell me if the same problem still occurs?

eschiss1

Gipps symphony 5:
-if- it was the premiere, which I am suspecting it was, then according to Halstead's "Ruth Gipps: anti-modernism, nationalism and difference in English music", page 38 (previewed by Google Books), the date (of the premiere, not of the broadcast) was 6 March 1983.  In 1986 she was made to retire from the LRO (compulsory retirement), so if the recording isn't the premiere, it's "sometime between 6 March 1983 and 1986" but I am still guessing the former - still, the London Repertory Orchestra may have a list of their 1980s concerts somewhere (if not necessarily online), or stored with a library.
Eric

Dundonnell

Quote from: britishcomposer on Thursday 06 October 2011, 15:31
You are right, I downloaded it myself and it couldn't be opened. Am just about uploading a new file. Please, would you tell me if the same problem still occurs?

Problem solved :)

Thank you very much for the download and your swift response in fixing the problem :)

britishcomposer

Ah, glad that it works now! Enjoy listening! :D

eschiss1

Cooper:
can anyone turn up anything about pianist Barbara Clamp? Musicsack.com, viaf, google searches turn up nothing about her (well, Google turns up about 4 things about her- which mostly point toward other references to this very same item sometimes on different sites, I'd like independent verification of name etc.. I don't count that- understandably or no?) Is there information about her in an undigitized source? :) I will go look soon, I'm just still a bit under the weather (excuses, excuses.)

Dundonnell

Quote from: Albion on Tuesday 04 October 2011, 18:57
The cantata Come, my way, my truth, my life by Daniel Jones (as performed under Charles Groves at the 1987 Swansea Festival) is now in Folder 7.

:)

This is a choral work which I had never heard of before.

I knew that Jones had written the Cantata "The Country Beyond the Stars"(1958) (available on a Lyrita cd, coupled with the Sixth and Ninth Symphonies), the Oratorio "St. Peter"(1962) and the Cantata "Hear the Voice of the Ancient Bard"(1977)-both of these I have on tape-  plus another choral work from 1971 called "The Witnesses" for chorus and orchestra but this was a new one on me ;D

Thanks for the upload :)

Holger

Quote from: Dundonnell on Thursday 06 October 2011, 16:57
I knew that Jones had written [...] the Oratorio "St. Peter"(1962) and the Cantata "Hear the Voice of the Ancient Bard"(1977)-both of these I have on tape-  plus another choral work from 1971 called "The Witnesses" for chorus and orchestra but this was a new one on me ;D

Would it be possible for you to upload these pieces at some point? I am quite a Jones fan and I do have recordings of all his 13 symphonies (I don't know whether anybody plans to upload the remaining ones that were not released commercially – if not I can certainly provide them) but not these pieces, which would interest me a lot.

albion

Quote from: Holger on Thursday 06 October 2011, 17:26
I knew that Jones had written [...] the Oratorio "St. Peter"(1962) and the Cantata "Hear the Voice of the Ancient Bard"(1977)-both of these I have on tape-  plus another choral work from 1971 called "The Witnesses" for chorus and orchestra but this was a new one on me ;D

Would it be possible for you to upload these pieces at some point? I am quite a Jones fan and I do have recordings of all his 13 symphonies (I don't know whether anybody plans to upload the remaining ones that were not released commercially – if not I can certainly provide them) but not these pieces, which would interest me a lot.

I'm sure they'll appear in due course!

;)

Arbuckle

Would be very happy to hear some more Jones symphonies, Holger, I am missing 1-3, 5, and everything after 9! Thanks.

albion

Quote from: Holger on Thursday 06 October 2011, 17:26I do have recordings of all his 13 symphonies (I don't know whether anybody plans to upload the remaining ones that were not released commercially – if not I can certainly provide them)

Great news that you have other Daniel Jones symphonies - 2 and 12 are already in the BMB archive; 4, 6, 7, 8 and 9 are commercially available and I think that Dundonnell has numbers 3 and 10 and intends to upload them shortly, so it would be wonderful if you could possibly supply numbers 1, 5, 11 and 13. This collaborative effort would at last make a complete cycle available.

;D

Holger

OK, I will upload the four Jones symphonies in question in the next days. I think I should get round to this until the weekend (as I am currently doing some work on my CD collection anyway).

Dundonnell

Quote from: Holger on Thursday 06 October 2011, 17:26

It is certainly my intention to upload 'St. Peter' and 'Hear the Voice of the Ancient Bard' plus a very great deal more British music as soon as I can digitise it all ;D
I am currently going through all my taped British music to check that tapes I have not been able to listen to for 30 years are still ok. So far 99% are ;D ;D
These works should be uploaded next month some time :)

You have ALL 13 Jones symphonies :) :) :)

Oh JOY :)  Albion has already commented and I join in his and others' excitement :) ;D

J.Z. Herrenberg