British Music

Started by Pengelli, Monday 03 January 2011, 16:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Dundonnell

Currently listening to Havergal Brian's Symphony No.20 played by the New Philharmonia Orchestra conducted by Vernon Handley, recorded in 1976 :)

J.Z. Herrenberg

You lucky man! I wonder how his reading differs from the one on Marco Polo/Naxos...

Dundonnell

Not too long to wait ;D

The recording is not of the best.....but it should do(I hope!) and it CAN be improved :)

albion

Quote from: Dundonnell on Wednesday 12 October 2011, 19:48I have now listened to around three-quarters of my own collection of taped British music. I have-I hope-all the necessary technology now to digitise the collection and should be able to start around the middle of next week. [...] We are-after all-talking about in excess of 115 pieces of British orchestral and choral music not otherwise available ;D ;D.

What a truly fabulous prospect - many thanks, Colin!

In the meantime, Dylan has very kindly sent a lovely performance of Liza Lehmann's exotic song-cycle for SATB soloists and piano In A Persian Garden (1896). It was recorded at Aldeburgh in 1997 - I have added all the necessary details and this recording can now be found in Folder 3 of BMB.

;D

britishcomposer

Some SONGS at last!!! Thank you, both!  :D
Though I am VERY interested in British Art Song I have not yet explored Liza Lehmann's works.

BTW, I am looking for songs by C. W. Orr. (A few have been recorded by hyperion and the cycle of seven Housman songs by an obscure label, the Morrison Music Trust.)
Someone told me that Ph. Langridge had recorded some but as far as I know they have only been released on LP.
Orr's reputation rests on just 35 songs and it's a shame that they haven't been recorded completely so far. What about hyperion?! They have done so many fine British song CDs. (Ireland, Bliss, Bridge, RVW, Warlock, Finzi, Gurney, etc...) Naxos English Song Series would be another candidate.

And then, what about Thomas Dunhill's 'The Wind Among the Reeds'? It was broadcast in 2004 by BBC Radio 3 and I missed it.  :(
(Vernon Handley/Ulster Orchestra)
Has anyone of you recorded it?

albion

Quote from: britishcomposer on Wednesday 12 October 2011, 22:30And then, what about Thomas Dunhill's 'The Wind Among the Reeds'? It was broadcast in 2004 by BBC Radio 3 and I missed it.  :(
(Vernon Handley/Ulster Orchestra)
Has anyone of you recorded it?

Sorry, I've not come across this recording - can you make do with Norman Hay's The Wind Among the Reeds (BMB Folder 5)? It's a truly wonderful piece!

;)

Alan Howe

britishcomposer

Quote from: Albion on Wednesday 12 October 2011, 22:39
Sorry, I've not come across this recording - can you make do with Norman Hay's The Wind Among the Reeds (BMB Folder 5)? It's a truly wonderful piece!

;)

Yes, I know! Haven't listened yet but will do so shortly. It would have made a fine comparison. If known at all Dunhill is best remembered for 'Cloths of Heaven', surely one of the finest songs ever written. It's hard to understand why no one has considered to record the complete cycle so far! Well, there IS this BBC broadcast and I will wait patiently...  ;)

Dundonnell

I regret to say that I thought that Dunhill's Symphony in A minor (released by Dutton) was lacking in much interest :(

albion

Due to file-incompatibility ( ::)), I have re-loaded In a Persian Garden as two separate files - the first contains the bulk of the cycle, and a further one contains the final quartet.

Hopefully, it is now complete!

:)

britishcomposer

Quote from: Dundonnell on Wednesday 12 October 2011, 23:04
I regret to say that I thought that Dunhill's Symphony in A minor (released by Dutton) was lacking in much interest :(

I haven't heard that recording but you are not the only person who thinks so.
Well, I don't mind!  :)
Gurney wasn't an accomplished orchestral composer either but his songs demonstrate a feeling for words which is unsurpassed. Who needs a Gurney Symphony when we have the five Elizas!  ;)  :D

albion

It is fascinating to compare Liza Lehmann's intimate setting of verses from The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam with Bantock's more expansive treatment. Both equally valid, of course.

:)

eschiss1

Hrm. A Dunhill "triptych- three impressions for viola and orchestra" op.99 published by OUP in 1945 (ok, apparently composed ca.1941-2- for Tertis?). Erm... anyone know anything about this, asks this (horrible.) ex-violist? (premiered 19/8/1942 at a Prom by Tertis- conducted by Boult... no recording mentioned at Cadensa I think though. Hrm. Anyway. Sorry.)

Dundonnell

Quote from: Albion on Wednesday 12 October 2011, 22:12
Quote from: Dundonnell on Wednesday 12 October 2011, 19:48I have now listened to around three-quarters of my own collection of taped British music. I have-I hope-all the necessary technology now to digitise the collection and should be able to start around the middle of next week. [...] We are-after all-talking about in excess of 115 pieces of British orchestral and choral music not otherwise available ;D ;D.

What a truly fabulous prospect - many thanks, Colin!

In the meantime, Dylan has very kindly sent a lovely performance of Liza Lehmann's exotic song-cycle for SATB soloists and piano In A Persian Garden (1896). It was recorded at Aldeburgh in 1997 - I have added all the necessary details and this recording can now be found in Folder 3 of BMB.

;D

Mention of Liza Lehmann recalls the fact that she was the grandmother of the composer David Bedford who sadly died on 1st October. David was also the brother of the conductor Steuart Bedford.

There have been lengthy obituaries in the quality British newspapers but little comment online that I at least have seen. Bedford was an astonishing character.
I am not going to precis what is an admirably full and detailed Wikipedia article about the composer but simply to commend it to you. My own first encounter with him was his orchestrations of the famous Mike Oldfield albums of the early to mid 1970s, including "Tubular Bells".
Whatever one thought of his music there is no denying his sterling efforts to bring music to as wide a cross-section of the population as possible, and particularly the young for whom he composed an amazing quantity of music, often for the most extraordinary 'instruments'.
R.I.P.

semloh

How sad to hear of the death of David Bedford. :(
He was very creative. His Stars End (1974) had quite an impact when it was first broadcast, and I rather prefer it to his The Rime of the Ancient Mariner (1975). I don't have anything else by him though....