British Music

Started by Pengelli, Monday 03 January 2011, 16:29

Previous topic - Next topic

albion

Quote from: eschiss1 on Monday 24 October 2011, 23:24the Hyperion recording is quite good in my opinion (an opinion I find not generally shared :) ) I have been assured that this performance is better (still).

The criticism levelled at the Hyperion disc of Brian's 3rd is not primarily concerned with the interpretation as such, rather with the recorded acoustic set down in an unsuitable venue which has an effect of deadening the performance to a marked degree. Anyway - two versions are better than one: it is excellent to now be able to easily compare and contrast.

:)

Dundonnell

I have just sent Albion the links to five works by Daniel Jones for downloading.

These are:

Symphony No.3
Symphony No.10
Violin Concerto
Tone Poem "Cloud Messenger"
Choral Suite "Hear the Voice of the Ancient Bard"

I know that Holger very kindly made Symphonies Nos. 1, 2, 5, 11, 12 and 13 available and if his recordings of Nos. 3 and 10 are superior to mine I shall happily allow mine to be replaced ;D :)

semloh

Quote from: Dundonnell on Tuesday 25 October 2011, 01:34
I have just sent the links to five works by Daniel Jones for downloading.

Wonderful! ;)

Thank you for all your hard work, Colin.  :)

Dundonnell

Quote from: semloh on Tuesday 25 October 2011, 02:22
Quote from: Dundonnell on Tuesday 25 October 2011, 01:34
I have just sent the links to five works by Daniel Jones for downloading.

Wonderful! ;)

Thank you for all your hard work, Colin.  :)

It is my pleasure :)

Given the immense amount of music which I never in my wildest dreams could I imagine ever being able to hear and which now, courtesy of the members of this forum, I have been able to download.............. :) :)

albion

The following broadcasts have been processed and are now to be found in the archive -

Daniel Jones: Symphony No.3; Symphony No.10; Violin Concerto; Tone Poem, Cloud Messenger; Choral Suite, Hear the Voice of the Ancient Bard

Many thanks to Dundonnell, not least for facilitating a complete Jones Symphony cycle.

albion

IMPORTANT NOTICE REGARDING BMB FOLDERS:

In view of the fact that several folders (especially those pertaining to twentieth-century composers) are now bulging at the seams, and are likely to grow even larger, I have decided on a new course of action.

I will reorganise all the files into ALPHABETICAL folders with composers allocated according to their given surname. The annotated listing will, however, be kept in chronological order. When complete, this should make it easier to locate specific files.

I hope to have this overhaul completed today - whilst the process is ongoing, the old links will be removed and new links provided later.

Thanks for your patience and apologies to any member who may be temporarily inconvenienced.

albion

This has now been completed, with all the folder links placed at the beginning of the annotated list. An alphabetical system will give greater flexibility and remove the necessity to specify location each time new files are added.

Dundonnell

Thanks to Albion for his hard work as British Music librarian ;D

eschiss1

calico

Indeed - what a wonderful resource these folders are. Thanks, Albion!

albion

The following repertoire has just been added to the archive -

Wilfred Josephs (1927-1997): Symphony No.1; Aelian Dances; Symphony No.3, Philadelphia; Symphony No.5, Pastoral; Symphony No.7, Winter

As usual, full details can be found in the annotated list.

Very little of Josephs' music (and, I believe, none of the larger orchestral works) has been commercially recorded, so this is a great opportunity to discover a very approachable composer. Many thanks to Dundonnell for these latest broadcasts.

albion

Also today, Dylan has very kindly provided the following broadcasts -

Herbert Howells: In nomine (1922) recorded at the 1992 Three Choirs Festival

Bernard Stevens: Sinfonietta for Strings (1948)

Many thanks!

Dundonnell

Quote from: Albion on Wednesday 26 October 2011, 10:51
The following repertoire has just been added to the archive -

Wilfred Josephs (1927-1997): Symphony No.1; Aelian Dances; Symphony No.3, Philadelphia; Symphony No.5, Pastoral; Symphony No.7, Winter

As usual, full details can be found in the annotated list.

Very little of Josephs' music (and, I believe, none of the larger orchestral works) has been commercially recorded, so this is a great opportunity to discover a very approachable composer. Many thanks to Dundonnell for these latest broadcasts.

My profound apologies that I messed up the recording of the last few bars or so of the Josephs Symphony No.3. The final 30 seconds approximately are missing :( These things happened when I was trying to record mid-afternoon in the 1970s whilst at work :)

albion

Quote from: Dundonnell on Wednesday 26 October 2011, 14:02My profound apologies that I messed up the recording of the last few bars or so of the Josephs Symphony No.3. The final 30 seconds approximately are missing :( These things happened when I was trying to record mid-afternoon in the 1970s whilst at work :)

No problem at all - we've all done it. At least it wasn't the other way round and you'd only managed to capture 30 seconds out of the symphony!

We're very lucky that collectors/ enthusiasts bothered to tape anything (let alone seemingly virtually everything of interest that the BBC broadcast) and even luckier that today there is a means of letting others hear the recordings.

;D

Dundonnell

Thank you for your understanding :)  I hope that others will be equally indulgent regarding my deficiencies ;D

I am more than aware that some of these recordings are deficient...either in the original recording or in my transfer to mp3 format. The latter I shall attempt to improve over time once I have got more of the hang of the opportunities Audacity has to offer.

At present I am working on the basic assumption that people would rather hear this music-which has never made it to disc(the exceptions so far being the Havergal Brian Symphonies Nos. 3 and 20 and the Violin Concerto) than not hear it at all.

I know that I personally would rather hear any recording than remain in total ignorance of a particular work ;D