British Music

Started by Pengelli, Monday 03 January 2011, 16:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Dundonnell

I shall do what I can do ;D

I do have to say however that the transfer process is taking a huge amount of time. Very large parts of each day and the night are being taken up converting the music in realtime into mp3 format which also involves cutting and trimming the recordings to get rid of surplus silent time. The biggest problem over the past week has been the quite inordinate quantity of time it has taken to upload to Mediafire. Sizeable files could not be uploaded at peak times-essentially the evenings. I have therefore had to upload in the early afternoon when I could or after 1am in the morning. This has meant getting to bed around 3 or 4am ;D

I have checked each mp3 file before uploading it to check that the transfer has actually worked and that the music can be heard. I listened to the George Lloyd and I could hear it ok. What I shall now do though is to download it from Mediafire and compare the downloaded copy with my original mp3 transfer. If the downloaded version is significantly quieter then that will give me an answer. I will then increase the amplification overall.

The original intention was to get the music up, wait for comments/criticism and then sort out the problems/issues. If I tried to do this in advance, so to speak, on a work by work basis then the whole process would take months; there are around 130/140 pieces of music after all ;D

Dundonnell

Ok...well...that certainly didn't help ::)

I had forgotten that Albion very kindly had sorted out the George Lloyd ;D

I shall try a different piece instead :)

albion

More files are now in the archive -

Iain Hamilton: Overture, Bartholomew Fair; Symphonic Variations; Scottish Dances; Overture, 1912

Many thanks to Dundonnell for these latest additions.

;D

Quote from: Dundonnell on Friday 28 October 2011, 14:13I shall try a different piece instead :)

I think that the Cooke Violin Concerto has come out at quite a low volume.

???

Dundonnell

Ok...I shall download the Cooke and check it out :)

Dundonnell

Quote from: Dundonnell on Friday 28 October 2011, 14:39
Ok...I shall download the Cooke and check it out :)

Right...well now I am completely confused :o

I downloaded the Cooke Violin Concerto from Mediafire. This is the mp3 file I had made. I played it back through the speakers on my pc and it sounded fine(as have the other mp3 transfers).

As an experiment I copied the file onto an mp3 player, connected that to my amplifier and the sound was indeed far too low-as reported!

Latvian

There are programs such as Power Sound File Editor (freeware) that you can use to solve this problem. Just run the file through the program and "normalize" the overall sound level to an appropriate setting, and in less than minute your file is at an appropriate level.

albion

I pretty sure that it's simply a case of tweaking the audacity settings in some way prior to recording. I've amplified the Cooke and sent Colin a copy to compare with the original file in the archive.

It will get sorted one way or another.

;D

albion

This might be useful -

http://wiki.audacityteam.org/index.php?title=Recording_levels

when I played the original files back through my audacity, the green and red bars on the meter toolbar were registering as very low.

:)

Dundonnell

The downloaded (revised) version of the Cooke Violin Concerto is certainly louder. I had to turn down the speakers on my pc ;D

My personal travails must be thoroughly boring other members by now :(

I need to go away and think all this advice over and then come back to it and experiment when I am fresher.

albion

Quote from: Dundonnell on Friday 28 October 2011, 15:47My personal travails must be thoroughly boring other members by now :(

Not at all. It's better that teething troubles are ironed out early on, rather than after uploading over a hundred items - it's incredible that in such a short space of time your material has got from reel to internet in whatever form.

I'll replace the four Hamilton files and the Cooke VC with 'amplified' copies.

albion

Quote from: Albion on Friday 28 October 2011, 16:15I'll replace the four Hamilton files and the Cooke VC with 'amplified' copies.

I've amplified these files and duly replaced them.

albion

I have amplified all the Leighton files, plus the Morgan and Chagrin but I have to go out to a rehearsal this evening (in about 5 minutes), so I will upload the new versions later tonight, and will work through the Hoddinott, Cooke, Brian, Fricker and Jones files over the weekend (time permitting).

Dundonnell

Now I feel absolutely rotten :( :(

Albion didn't ask to do this, doesn't have to do it..........

It is unbelievably kind of him but my stupidity has led to this ridiculous extra workload :(

albion

Colin, please don't feel bad about it - I made plenty of mistakes when I first began uploading!

:o

Anyway, it keeps me out of mischief (in theory).

;)

semloh

Quote from: Dundonnell on Friday 28 October 2011, 18:33
Now I feel absolutely rotten :( :(

Albion didn't ask to do this, doesn't have to do it..........

It is unbelievably kind of him but my stupidity has led to this ridiculous extra workload :(

Please, please, Colin, don't feel bad about it.  :) :)

You have a wonderful resource there, and we are grateful for your generosity in sharing it. I think we all understand how much effort it takes.... ánd some initial teething problems are inevitable. I'll face all the same problems in the new year, when I start to do the same thing, and I'm hoping to capitalize on your experience - sneaky, eh! ;D ;D