British Music

Started by Pengelli, Monday 03 January 2011, 16:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Dundonnell

Very kind of you both :) :)

I THINK that I have got the hang of amplification.......

...and I have redone the Cooke Symphony No.4, No.5 and Oboe Concerto and will send the links in the next minute or two.

Please
check these to see if there is an improvement in sound :)

britishcomposer

Moreover, there are lots of easy ways for any user to amplify files himself if it should be necessary.
My recommendation is mp3-gain: you can put all files in at once and make them as loud as you like! :D

albion

The Chagrin, Morgan and Leighton files have now been replaced.

Colin, I'll PM you about the other files you've been working on this evening.

;D

albion

Quote from: Dundonnell on Friday 28 October 2011, 22:45...and I have redone the Cooke Symphony No.4, No.5 and Oboe Concerto and will send the links in the next minute or two.

These are all now fine and I've replaced the files in the archive.

:)

albion

I've amplified and replaced the Wilfred Josephs files, and Colin has done the Havergal Brian and Hoddinott items.

Tomorrow, all the remaining files (Fricker and Jones) will also be replaced and some new repertoire will be added.

;D

albion

The British Music Emporium

Normal service is resumed

I've upgraded the Peter Racine Fricker files and Colin has done the same for the Daniel Jones - thus completing the restoration project.

In addition, the following 'new' repertoire is now available for perusal -

Lennox Berkeley (1903-1989): Windsor Variations for Chamber Orchestra

William Wordsworth (1908-1988): Overture, Conflict

John McCabe (b.1939): Variations on a theme of Karl Amadeus Hartmann; Concertante for Harpsichord and Chamber Ensemble;
Violin Concerto No.2

:)

Dundonnell

My warmest thanks to Albion for his enormous help and encouragement in getting well over twenty separate recordings back up here in their revised and amplified versions :) :)

My profound apologies to any members who have been seriously inconvenienced by having to download pieces afresh.

If-in any way-there are still serious problems with these recordings or with forthcoming uploads please let us know ;D

There are more works by Lennox Berkeley to be added to the Windsor Variations.....but the next work to go up (to celebrate the successful resumption of business ;D) will be a major British choral composition which has, sadly, never been commercially recorded-

Alan Rawsthorne's Carmen Vitale of 1963 in a recording of its performance at the Leeds Festival of 1973.

Dundonnell

Grateful thanks to britishcomposer for the recent additions of Peter Maxwell Davies's Symphony No.7 and John McCabe's Symphony 'Labyrinth'(Symphony No.7)-two British symphonies I have wanted to hear for some time :)

eschiss1

Hrm, happily a good number (could be more, we editors there will just have to look for them or upload them if we have the scores! ... ) of works in the folder (and other folders) have scores or reductions available on IMSLP (noticed Stanford's Fairy Day there, for example.)

semloh

Quote from: Dundonnell on Saturday 29 October 2011, 12:59
My warmest thanks to Albion for his enormous help and encouragement in getting well over twenty separate recordings back up here in their revised and amplified versions :) :)

Brilliant work!  ;) ;)
Thank you, both :) :) :)

Dundonnell

Quote from: semloh on Saturday 29 October 2011, 14:07
Quote from: Dundonnell on Saturday 29 October 2011, 12:59

Brilliant work!  ;) ;)
Thank you, both :) :) :)

I sat in front of my pc working on the recordings from around mid day yesterday until 2.00am ;D But it was worth it IF the recordings are now acceptable.

Please, please let us know if there are still serious problems :)

Somewhere (about a third of the way through if I recall correctly) in the recording of the McCabe Violin Concerto No.2 there is a very brief outbreak of police radio :o One policeman says something and another replies....but it only lasts for a few seconds. I can try to get rid of this unwarranted intrusion later ;D ;D ;D

dafrieze

This British-music lover is beginning to hyperventilate from the plethora of goodies rushing onto this site.  Thanks to all - and especially to whoever uploaded Maxwell Davies's seventh symphony, the only one of his symphonies I didn't have and the one that I had most despaired of ever hearing!  I am now going to have to find a few free days and lock myself into my apartment like a hermit so that I can listen to it all . . .

britishcomposer

Quote from: dafrieze on Saturday 29 October 2011, 15:15
This British-music lover is beginning to hyperventilate from the plethora of goodies rushing onto this site.  Thanks to all - and especially to whoever uploaded Maxwell Davies's seventh symphony, the only one of his symphonies I didn't have and the one that I had most despaired of ever hearing!  I am now going to have to find a few free days and lock myself into my apartment like a hermit so that I can listen to it all . . .

This gives me the opportunity to excuse for a short gap near the end of Max's 7. I don't know why this happened; it's already on my cassette tape and I decided not to 'edit' it.

Dundonnell

Quote from: dafrieze on Saturday 29 October 2011, 15:15

I know that you were one of the members who commented-perfectly properly- about the low volume of my uploads.

The volume levels on ALL my uploads have now been enhanced and I would be most interested to hear back from you if it has made the recordings acceptable :)

dafrieze

Dundonnell - Yes, the amplification seems to have worked perfectly and the sound levels are now much more than acceptable.  (I did myself amplify a few of the pieces I'd already downloaded.  Audacity is a wonderful thing - the program, if not the personality trait.)  Thanks very much - and thanks VERY much for the seemingly endless array of pieces I've been hoping to hear for a few decades.  One of the disadvantages to being an American Anglophile is that, until the invention of the internet, I never got to hear and record the BBC and - at least in its glory days, which seem to alter depending on the age of the person to whom you're speaking - its regular broadcasts of British works.