British Music

Started by Pengelli, Monday 03 January 2011, 16:29

Previous topic - Next topic

albion

Latest additions:

Arthur Benjamin (1893-1960) - Concerto quasi una fantasia; Harmonica Concerto

Graham Whettam (1927-2007) - Sinfonia contra timore; Sinfonietta stravagante

Many thanks to Dundonnell for these broadcast recordings.

:)

albion

Even later addition:

Patric Standford (b.1939) - Symphony No.1, The Seasons

Thanks again to Dundonnell for this first representation of the composer in BMB.

Dundonnell

I advanced the Benjamin pieces up the batting order for those who invested in the recent Dutton cd containing the Violin and Viola Concertos and might be interested in hearing more Benjamin....and the Whettam in response to Albion's request ;D

albion

Dundonnell

I have just discovered that I have a tape recording of a BBC broadcast of Hamish MacCunn's huge Cantata " The Lay of the Last Minstrel" if anyone is interested ;D

britishcomposer

Quote from: Dundonnell on Friday 04 November 2011, 19:13
I have just discovered that I have a tape recording of a BBC broadcast of Hamish MacCunn's huge Cantata " The Lay of the Last Minstrel" if anyone is interested ;D

You dare to ask?!  ;D

BTW, today, 4th November, we celebrate Arnold Cooke's 105th birthday. Thanks to many contributors we can now celebrate him in sound, not just words.  :D

Dundonnell

Quote from: britishcomposer on Friday 04 November 2011, 21:13
Quote from: Dundonnell on Friday 04 November 2011, 19:13

You dare to ask?!  ;D

BTW, today, 4th November, we celebrate Arnold Cooke's 105th birthday. Thanks to many contributors we can now celebrate him in sound, not just words.  :D

Ok.........converting to mp3 now ;D ;D

...and I have added a post to the Arnold Cooke thread too :)

albion

Some late-night (at least in Europe) treats for the insomniacs amongst us -

from Colin:

Robin Orr (1909-2006) - Overture, The Prospect of Whitby; Symphony No.2; Symphony No.3

Anthony Hedges (b.1931) - Variations on a Theme of Rameau; Symphony No.1

from Eric:

John McCabe (b.1939) - Horn Concerto, Rainforest IV

fuller detail, as usual, can be found in the listing.

Many thanks to both!

Dundonnell

Again, advance notice-

Anyone who has purchased the recent Dutton cd containing Franz Reizenstein's Piano Concerto No.2 or who has downloaded Reizenstein's Violin Concerto from this site will perhaps be interested to know that I am currently converting the composer's Cantata "Voices of Night"(1951) to mp3 prior to uploading :)

albion

Some excellent additions this evening:

Charles Villiers Stanford (1852-1924) - Suite of Ancient Dances; Shamus O'Brien, Overture; Phaudrig Crohoore

Hamish MacCunn (1868-1916) - The Lay of the Last Minstrel

more details can be found, as usual, in the listing.

Two substantial Victorian choral works and some intriguing orchestral rarities, all courtesy of Dundonnell. Many thanks!

;D

albion

Also tonight, no less than three 'new' Hoddinott concertos, courtesy of britishcomposer -

Trumpet Concerto, The Shining Pyramid; Euphonium Concerto, The Sunne Rising, The King Will Ride; Trombone Concerto

Thanks for these - more details can be found in the download thread.

;D

Mark Thomas

Thanks very much indeed for both the Stanford and the MacCunn, both of you!

J.Z. Herrenberg

Colin's reel-to-reels - the gift that keeps on giving. Many thanks for the additions to my Orr knowledge!

albion

I have just added the following broadcasts from both the BBC and CBC -

David Morgan (1933-1988) -Three Tudor Lyrics; Partita; Concerto for Wind Orchestra; Interludes and Canzonas; Sonata for Chamber Orchestra

eschiss1

About Alan Bush's piano concerto by the way- hope this information isn't totally redundant- there's an article by Paul Conway here providing movement indications and other things. (The movement indications are, according to Conway,
#Con moto moderato ma deciso
#Con vivicata, ma non troppo allegro (ed. note- that looks like it should be Con vivacità give or take a few diacritics? Edit: better sources still give "vivicato" for this word. Autograph facsimile has been published, around 1956- years after composition- so can in principle be perused somewhere. )
#Grave
#Allegro vigoroso ma non troppo )

(Vivicata sounds like the way the word "pizzicato" is enunciated (at least, in Atherton's recording; an unforgettable moment to me *g*) in one of the songs of Pierrot lunaire (Schoenberg's) .. .so who knows... )
Hey, reply 599... *waves to reply 600 coming up!*
This information is probably also available at The Alan Bush Music Trust, come to think... which has a movement list for the Byron Symphony for example.